Respected Contributor

This can occur in any number of ways.

Some of it is hypertalkativeness.  Some of it is speech patterns or the way one does their hair, makeup, or clothing.

If QVC wants to SELL things, I would think they would like their hosts to NOT be a distraction in any way.  Could be crazy nail polish showing jewelry.  Personal taste really doesn't come in to how someone dresses for work so much. 

There have been times I was so distracted by a weird nail polish that the jewelry didn't even get to me!  Or if my mind keeps saying "I wish so and so would shut up for a moment," I probably won't buy. 

If one is selling makeup and skin care and doesn't look so good, I wonder why!

If a host and a vendor are yapping at each other, don't get much information.

Anyone else wonder why QVC allows any host to be a distraction in any way?

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Re: Distraction by hosts

[ Edited ]

I never have a problem keeping my focus on an item being sold if it interests me.  There are hosts I prefer not to watch but if I were to get distracted, it would most likely be by something that is more interesting and not by something I didn't like,  I certainly would not expect QVC to dictate what nail polish a host should wear.  I've seen some vendors wear very odd color nail polish -- do you think they should set expectations as to their nail polish also?

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

I never have a problem keeping my focus on an item being sold if it interests me.  There are hosts I prefer not to watch but if I were to get distracted, it would most likely be by something that is more interesting and not by something I didn't like,  I certainly would not expect QVC to dictate what nail polish a host should wear.  I've seen some vendors wear very odd color nail polish -- do you think they should set expectations as to their nail polish also?

I've never been distracted by a host, their clothing, hairstyle or nail polish in the slightest. Like you @makena I'm concentrating on the product shown and if it doesn't pique my interest then I change the channel.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

I love the different colors of nails the hosts have. I haven't seen any nail art or extra long tips, or anything garrish. I've seen vivid colors, but I love color, nothing ugly about that.

Valued Contributor

You are absolutely correct!!!  I agree with you, you wonder why Q doesn't say something, I especially can't stand it when the host wears distracting nail polish when she is selling jewelry, there is one host who wears odd colors all the time, and I can't stand it.  I have complained about this before, but it does not help, we can only wish. Thanks for writing about this.

Valued Contributor

I was agreeing with hyacinth003

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003-

I find myself laughing at some of your post, like want to say shut-up because I know what you mean and yes I have felt the same way many times. And then yes I turn the channel.

It does matter to me but I don't wonder why QVC doesn't address this because I feel like whoever is the "powers that be" and decide on how things are run, just does not get it and isn't listening to the complaints so many have had over and over-the hyper fast-talking, fake enthusiasm, almost like acting classes-just be real, authentic, sincere and calm down and yes if I am thinking the whole time about the strange things they are wearing, my mind wonders and I can't get it off that and onto what they are trying to sell.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I have never been distracted by anything anyone wears or does.  I am interested in the product and I actually hardly notice what anyone is wearing, their speech patters, or their hair and makeup!  I think most are not bothered and it seems to be only a small minority of those that post here that are and that probably is even a smaller minority of all who do purchase here.  I can't imagine constantly being distracted over small things - and to the point that I would feel the need to run and post it or not order something I needed or wanted because I was so bothered!! 

Honored Contributor

Years ago, QVC actually did dictate to the hosts what colors of nail polish they could wear on air.   They were not allowed to wear bold colors (this was back when polish was only reds and pinks), and could only have on clear, very light pink polish, or a French Manicure style.  Some of the hosts mentioned this from time to time.  

The reason?  QVC thought it would be too distracting to their products.

Super Contributor

I always change the channel when Mary Beth comes on.  She has this fake breathless excitement when talking about products that is grating.