Trusted Contributor

Re: Customer call in testimonials?

No offense to anyone that has actually talked on air, but I can not stand those calls.  If I happen to be watching, I will quickly mute or change the channel. 

Respected Contributor

I find the calls totally disruptive.

Honored Contributor

@lemg wrote:

Of course they're pre-screened!  Have you ever heard a caller say, "I ordered this but it fell apart after the second time I wore it.  Your quality control is a mess!"?  Or, "Why is your sizing so off?  I had to send the product back twice before I got one that fit."?

They only want positive comments.  And the standard, "Tell us why you love this product" request is an effort to get the caller to say good things.  I often wish a caller would respond, "I don't love it.  I think it's rather mediocre for the price."  Won't happen.  

ESP?  Are you serious?  It's called marketing.

I've heard some whacky phone calls. I have heard the host put on the spot many times. And years ago, I heard a caller say two very bad words to of all people, Mary Beth. Call was disconnected right away.

Respected Contributor

I was asked twice a very long time ago.  I said "no" both times.  Now I am sorry because one of the times it was Joan Rivers and the other time three time Coty Award winner Louis Dell Olio. I am sure I would have enjoyed both conversations.  Now I purchase everything on line so, obviously, I am never asked.

Honored Contributor

I was asked if I wanted to speak to Mary Beth the first time I made a purchase many years ago.  I declined.  A few years ago I spoke with Callie on HSN.  The representative didn't ask me any questions before I talked with her.

I remember Callie mentioned that it was my first time ordering, but it actually wasn't.  The operator couldn't find my info and registered me again.  So they do give them some information on the callers.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

No pre-screen. Spoke twice once to Lisa Mason and other to Dave King.  Was using automated ordering, when I was done, a recording came on that I had been selected and to please hold.  Then I was patched through to give my testimonials.

Respected Contributor

When I used to watch in the wee hours, there'd be some weird on-air callers.  Must be a nightmare for the screeners. 

Valued Contributor

Wow, does this bring me back a couple of decades!  Do ya'll remember when Pat James Dementri did the 18k gold shows?  I called in one night to order a bracelet and was asked if I would like to speak with Pat.  I said, "sure."  We talked about the bracelet I had just ordered and then about an 18k bangle I already owned and was coming up in her hour.  She was truly lovely and gracious to speak with.  

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

On the studio tour, they told us callers are invited to speak on-air only if they've bought the product.

@ValuSkr, that is misinformation. I've heard tons of callers that are first-buyers or are saying that they just ordered an item.

Maybe they just bought it (minutes ago) and were invited to talk on-air.

Very possible, @ValuSkr

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

No offense to anyone that has actually talked on air, but I can not stand those calls.  If I happen to be watching, I will quickly mute or change the channel. 

-------------------

I totally agree!!  And really, don't see a good reason to encourage these calls!!  I especially hate those calls where the caller goes on and on, and it is so obvious that the host has tried to end the call.