Honored Contributor

Re: Celebrating Women 50 Plus!

[ Edited ]

I remember the QVC days when they sent Lisa Robertson off to Italy in an extravagant location while she wore Miss America evening gowns and sold the same jewelry she sold while in PA in the studio.  That was OK with me.  I enjoyed those shows simply because it was a change of pace, something different to see.

I expected this Q50 Vegas showcase to be the same.  Therefore, my expectations were very low.  I figured the same products would be shown, by most of the same vendors, with just the backdrop of Las Vegas.

I think QVC's big fiasco (just my opinion) with this, and why I'm reading that so many really disliked it, was that they built it up far too much.  

Exciting!!!  Fabulous!! You-won't-believe-it!! Just wait, it'll be amazing!!! 

None of that hyperbole was for the customer.  It was a very expensive QVC team building, once in a lifetime trip for women hosts & vendors over 50.  That's all.  All the self-love mantras got to be redundant and a little silly after a while.  

I really did like seeing all of them happy and having fun; I enjoyed the photos and videos.  I liked seeing the shows in that venue -- again, something different.  

But they didn't even have free shipping, big discounts, every product new, new programming features, or anything.

All of that HUGE buildup, and none of it was for the customer.  Just like Jennifer Coffey said in her show this morning, "but what about us??"  

[...and No, that 10% off using the QCard is not what I'm talking about...]

Esteemed Contributor

@ruthbe 

Precisely...

A good friend of mine completed an advanced degree in her late 50s as her company was downsizing.

Despite her best efforts, she could not find a job.  

She ended up taking what amounted to a secretarial job just to be working.   When she was finally eligible for SS, she quit.  

All that education bought and paid for to do what she had been doing in her 20s.

I wish you better luck.

Valued Contributor

The ONLY thing I liked about this circus of a show was seeing Sandra Bennett's and Jacqui's straight hair!!  They both looked beautiful!

Trusted Contributor

Hi! @Beammeupscotty 🌸

YES I can’t wait for the Q to do this again!! I’m hoping they do it with Leah and MaryBeth Rowe and another 48 wonderful, inspiring women. 💕

I didn’t watch the Q when they had all the entertainment you mentioned. So glad they’re bringing that back.

I bet it was such an honor for Kathy Levine to meet Bradley Cooper and his mom. I didn’t watch QVC when Kathy was a host, but I wish I did. I think she’s really terrific!! 🤗 That was funny hearing “Rudy” last night. I watched one other time when Jane and Kathy were together presenting Kathy’s jewelry and Kathy called her “Rudy” then too. So sweet!!!

I was excited to see Naomi Watts with Sandra and Jane!! And to find out she’s selling her products on the Q! If I was a QVC host I wouldn’t be able to sleep for days! So glad QVC recognized them and treated them to such a Wonderful event. 🤗🤗🤗
Regular Contributor

@ruthbe - ageism is real in the workplace. People do math in their heads and discount people without even knowing anything about their talents and qualifications. I work as a recruiter - take a look at your resume and LinkedIn profile and remove the dates as much as possible. That's a bit tougher when you have only worked for one company but perhaps instead of putting start and end dates make it more of a narrative - "for the 25+ years I have spent at X" blah, blah, If your current resume has a start date of 42 years ago people are not impressed with your loyalty but likely calculating your age.

Respected Contributor

I am a speech language pathologist.  When my children were young and while I was taking care of my ill parents,  I worked as a part time contractor in the public school system.  After my parents passed and my children grew up, I looked for a full time position and found one as a contractor.  I worked in a district for 5 years as a full time contractor and applied every time a district employee position was posted.  Each time I was passed over for a young inexperienced SLP and I know the reason was that with my degree and years of experience I was too high on the pay scale.  This past year I decied to send out my resume out to other districts just to see if I got any offers. This is not typical as usually the district posts open positions in which you have to submit an application. I was finally offered a district position.  I started this position at age 55 and if I stay for 10 years I will be eligible for a pension.  I also get awesome health benefits for me and my family.   

Trusted Contributor

When QVC hires an "over 50" as a new host instead of the younger ones, then I will believe they "celebrate the over 50".    Also, when a younger host is "dismissed" instead of the over 50, I will then believe QVC celebrates older women.    And how about the men?   Rick and David and even Isaac and Gary G are they not to be celebrated?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYwoman wrote:

When QVC hires an "over 50" as a new host instead of the younger ones, then I will believe they "celebrate the over 50".    Also, when a younger host is "dismissed" instead of the over 50, I will then believe QVC celebrates older women.    And how about the men?   Rick and David and even Isaac and Gary G are they not to be celebrated?

I agree with you.  How can QVC celebrate over 50 when they let go of two of their hosts who were over 50.  It is hard to take them seriously.

Honored Contributor

@RescueLover wrote:
Change has to start sometime... I’m glad to see QVC started this revolution and hopefully other companies will follow suit. 🤗

It was a FUN evening with a lot of laughter!!!
Especially when Shawn and Mally were on!!! I really enjoyed it as I was shopping!! 🤗🤗🤗

@RescueLover You should read about the women's movement that began in the 1960's.  QVC didn't start anything and is about 50 years or more late to the party. 

I think now it is time for QVC and many other companies get back to their business, figure out why they are failing their customers and let people, including women, live their lives without companies butting in. 

Trusted Contributor

But QVC has let go other hosts in the past 5 years, who were not even close to 50 years old. Think about it…