Respected Contributor

she is perfect for the younger demographics.

i keep reading where they want to improve that customer base.  

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

I liked Alex.  I felt she was a breath of fresh air and very comfortable in front of the camera, even if she was a little rough around the edges.  But I fear she just could not evolve her presentation skills [and sales] to where they needed to be.  Hearing her say, “the bomb.com,” “this is another level,” and “I can’t even” several times in every item presentation, over a two or three hour shift, did not help her.  She showed no growth in vocabulary or in-depth ways to actually present the item for the viewer.

I don’t think it was merely the use of slang or appealing to the younger demographic.  She just did not have anything else.  Look at Courtney Cason.  If ever there was a host who relies heavily on youthful jargon and stories, it’s her.  But she has become a more well-rounded presenter, and apparently can pull in sales, at least on Beauty iQ.

I still say Alex was quite lovely, but QVC really did not seem to be a fit for her.  Those shorter, 5-minute fun segments she has done for news stations seem to a better match.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper

I for one am very sad about this.   I didn't see her a lot but the times I have seen her I thought she was funny and a very good salesperson with a lively personality.   I know some here feel the opposite but if QVC felt she might be over the top with her slang or being too funny, then why couldn't they have just spoken to her about it.  You would think with all the money they spend training these new hosts, it would behoove them to do this.  I find I am liking QVC less and less.  There policy of charging return shipping fees is enough to discourage my purchasing and it has.   I ordered two items at the same time and on the same order, but for some reason, the shipped each in a different package.  I thought that when you bought two items and returned both items in the same package they only charge one return fee but instead they charge a fee for each item.  That is a bit much I feel anyway.  I realize they want to discourage returns and I understand that but that is just overcharging in my estimation.   In remember a time when Customer Service was a pleasure to deal with.  One the recent occasions I have had to call Customer Service I was less than pleased with the attitude of the representative.   We have so many options to ship with free shipping, I think QVC may be shooting themselves in the long run with this policy.

Regular Contributor
She may have been aimed at a younger demographic, but that's not the viewership demographic and the Q isn't going to skew younger unless they spend advertising dollars in places where a younger demographic resides. Not to mention drastically updating their product lines and selling themes. They need to move away from guilting and scaring older folks into buying, and convince us instead of how the products would improve OUR quality of life. Not to mention instead of, say, advertising how the Bolt charger would be a good safety gift for grandchildren , flip the pitch and maket it a good gift for grandparents who are traveling to visit family.
Trusted Contributor

@BirdieGal wrote:

Well...this may be current and where she is now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=whGr9BUMuOo

@BirdieGal: The video says it's from Jan 2016.

coukdnt figure out who you guys were talking about so glad to finally know. I believe I've seen her a few times. Just didn't know the name. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Alex Butler?

[ Edited ]

@ScarletDove wrote:

Have not seen Alex Butler for a while, but have not been looking for her....does anyone know if she is still hosting?

I see in Mary Beth's blog that Cathy Zell will be back on 10/17 from maternity leave....looking forward to seeing her style!

@ScarletDove  @missy1

The one in Mary Beth's blog that was on maternity is KRISTINE Zell......Cathy is another of the new ones.....

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Blogs/Visiting-the-Zell-Family/ba-p/4143743

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I just dont think Alex was a good fit for QVC.....she drove me crazy with her silly slang and loud voice..........I wish her well on her next career opportunity..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@lousgirl84 wrote:

@NycVixen

I totally agree with your post.  I though she was great and fun and she did a good job.  I think the vendors she worked with generally liked her.  What surprises me is that QVC must spend a lot of money training these people so I would think they if they had a problem with her presentations they could have talked to her first rather than fire her.  I can't imagine they didn't see this trait in her during training.  In other words she didn't become that way only after her training 

--------------------

Giving QVC (the employer) the benefit of doubt, I am sure that during training and after, she was talked to and asked to tone down her speech. And maybe, there was no change in her speaking style. She was way too loud and tried too hard to be so hip in using teenager vocabulary.

Respected Contributor

Re: Alex Butler?

[ Edited ]

@lousgirl84 wrote:

@NycVixen

I totally agree with your post.  I though she was great and fun and she did a good job.  I think the vendors she worked with generally liked her.  What surprises me is that QVC must spend a lot of money training these people so I would think they if they had a problem with her presentations they could have talked to her first rather than fire her.  I can't imagine they didn't see this trait in her during training.  In other words she didn't become that way only after her training 

@Teddixat IMO you're completely correct. If you go to her LinkedIn page she posted her video reel, which is most likely the one she sent in to QVC. She's the same in it and QVC knew from day one what they were getting and chose to hire her out of 10,000 people for that reason. 

If they had a problem with it after hiring her it was not her fault. If for some reason she didn't seem to click with a portion of QVC viewers, that is also not her fault but of those that recruited her and offered her a job that demands the person moves to PA. 

I'm not against her or any other host. I don't just see a televison personality, I see an actual person so yes I feel for her that now she has to pick up the pieces and look for another job after only 6 months. I think if the viewers weren't so negative and she was given time to adjust, she would be fabulous. She has the energy and most importantly, she really wants the job. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

Have not seen Alex Butler for a while, but have not been looking for her....does anyone know if she is still hosting?

I see in Mary Beth's blog that Cathy Zell will be back on 10/17 from maternity leave....looking forward to seeing her style!

@ScarletDove  @missy1

The one in Mary Beth's blog that was on maternity is KRISTINE Zell......Cathy is another of the new ones.....

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Blogs/Visiting-the-Zell-Family/ba-p/4143743

Thanks. Kristine is the one new host I haven't seen, yet.