Contributor

Affinity diamonds question??

Years ago when I was looking at diamond rings in a well known diamond store, the owner of the store told me that any diamond below 1/4 karat is a CHIP.  So my question is, how can Affinity diamonds say all of those chips add up to a full Karat?  Myself, I just can't see spending lots of money on chips.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Affinity diamonds question??

@cubagalSounds like that owner of the jewelry store was an idiot. A high quality 1/4 ct. diamond can be very, very expensive. A mediocre 2 ct. diamond may be less than than a 1/4 ct. expensive diamond with excellent cut, clarity, color and caret weight. I would have walked out of the store in total disguist at such an insensitive, pompous statement. 

As far as diamonds sold by QVC, they are getting much better about acknowledging the quality carried. I would never purchase any stone on-line or sight unseen. It's simply too risky.

A good jeweler will take the time to educate his customer and walk you through the diamond-buying process if you are honestly interested and able to purchase. It's a lengthy process to select stones and mountings, but well worth the effort.  If not honestly in the market, please don't waste his/her time. They usually have custom pieces waiting to be completed, repairs to be done, and stones to be set. A good jeweler is a craftsman and time is a precious commodity.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@cubagalI'd run.  Away from that jewelry store owner!  He's either misinformed or lying to you and either way you don't want to use his info to make a decision. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@cubagal wrote:

Years ago when I was looking at diamond rings in a well known diamond store, the owner of the store told me that any diamond below 1/4 karat is a CHIP.  So my question is, how can Affinity diamonds say all of those chips add up to a full Karat?  Myself, I just can't see spending lots of money on chips.  

@cubagal  What? Any size diamond as long as it is a fully faceted stone, is not a chip! That owner was not informed at all. So, re: Affinity. If you have 4 fully faceted diamonds 1/4 ct. each....yes, they equal a 1 ct. stone. 

Honored Contributor

I remember when they'd talk about diamonds and Affinity and I remember them stating that as long as the diamond was fully faceted (and they are able to fully facet smaller and smaller stones) that the total weight can equal the weight of a bigger stone.  Of course you have clarity and cut, etc. which defines the stone but chips are something else again. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I remember when they'd talk about diamonds and Affinity and I remember them stating that as long as the diamond was fully faceted (and they are able to fully facet smaller and smaller stones) that the total weight can equal the weight of a bigger stone.  Of course you have clarity and cut, etc. which defines the stone but chips are something else again. 

@Q4u  I’m doubtful they can use chips, even in pave pieces, unless specified. Chips are hardly used anymore because they so easily fracture, break or crack.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Q4u  I’m doubtful they can use chips, even in pave pieces, unless specified. Chips are hardly used anymore because they so easily fracture, break or crack.

Absolutely true....  last time I saw a chip I was told it was an "Industrial" diamond chip (those used on tools) and it was not attractive and it was a long time ago.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@cubagalSounds like that owner of the jewelry store was an idiot. A high quality 1/4 ct. diamond can be very, very expensive. A mediocre 2 ct. diamond may be less than than a 1/4 ct. expensive diamond with excellent cut, clarity, color and caret weight. I would have walked out of the store in total disguist at such an insensitive, pompous statement. 

As far as diamonds sold by QVC, they are getting much better about acknowledging the quality carried. I would never purchase any stone on-line or sight unseen. It's simply too risky.

A good jeweler will take the time to educate his customer and walk you through the diamond-buying process if you are honestly interested and able to purchase. It's a lengthy process to select stones and mountings, but well worth the effort.  If not honestly in the market, please don't waste his/her time. They usually have custom pieces waiting to be completed, repairs to be done, and stones to be set. A good jeweler is a craftsman and time is a precious commodity.  

@BirkiLady  Unfortunately, many jewelers don’t want to take the time dealing w/ a customer purchasing a 1/4 ct. stone when they can move along and sell someone a stone 1 ct. or larger. It’s all about money...bottom line.

Respected Contributor

@cubagal  That "jeweler" was just trying to sell you a larger stone, period.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@cubagal  That "jeweler" was just trying to sell you a larger stone, period.

@2blonde  That’s a “given”.