Respected Contributor

NO  - the 1st knuckle housing said claws is  R E M O V E D

Valued Contributor

The toes are cut off up to the first knuckle.  It's beyond sickening.

Our boy had already been declawed when we adopted him.  He still tried to use the scratching posts we had.  It was so sad.  Even now, (7 years later) he will try scratching things like the TV's.  I guess that's why he was declawed.  We never would have done that to him.  He is very gentle and sweet.  Our dog loves him and is always licking his head.  Poor boy doesn't like it and tries swatting her but, with no nails to teach her to stop, she just thinks he's playing.  I spoil him like crazy, partly because he is so lovable, and also partly to make up for what he has gone through in the past.

Respected Contributor

@QP Doll wrote:

No, they cut their toes off at the first nuckle when declawed. ...So Barbaric!!!!

I agree! It's bad enough that people would want to declaw their cats but what about the veterinarians who actually perform this mutilation? they should go to jail!

Honored Contributor

Re: declawed cat question

[ Edited ]

Cat owner here (two).  Both have claws, last cat had claws, too. 

Two cats before (brothers) I had declawed.

But, after reading here that the pain lingers is what stopped me from having them declawed.  

How do we know the pain lingers forever?  

I've known people who've lost fingers or parts of their fingers or toes.  Do you think it's still painful?  (My DIL's grandmother has had some of her toes amputated and she said it doesn't bother her--I asked.)

Also, I'm not wild about trap, neuter and release programs.  The cats are let back out to fend for themselves so soon after being fixed. 

Imagine being sent back to work and regular activities two or so days after a hysterectomy.

Reason I bring this up....Neutered males....is that pain forever --like de-clawing?  How do we know that, but are sure about de-clawing?

My oldest female (mother to our other cat) was fixed and tatooed on her belly.  We had no idea until we captured her and sent her to our vet.

Both cats, and the prior ones we've had, all had clipped ears.  A way these trap, neuter and release groups easily identify the ones already done.  Do you think their ears still hurt?

All serious questions.

About the cat in the OP, I don't think I would ever pick up a cat that I don't know (and some I do know).  And waiting for it's claws to come out to be let down?  No way.

But the biggest problem I have is that the cat is even outside.  Unacceptable.  Claws or no claws.

Honored Contributor

Re: declawed cat question

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm - If you want an answer about the effects of declawing, go to the Humane Society's website.  I'm not sure about posting a link here, as I don't want it to get deleted.  But it's HumaneSociety DOT org.

Read what they say about it and make up your own mind.

You can also google "the truth about declawing cats" and it should be the first hit to come up.  This is a procedure that only benefits humans who should, IMO, choose a different companion animal or none at all, if possessions are so important.

(As for comparing it to human surgery; that is only done for medical reasons.  Not to save someone's furniture or curtains!)

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Lucky Charm - If you want an answer about the effects of declawing, go to the Humane Society's website.  I'm not sure about posting a link here, as I don't want it to get deleted.  But it's HumaneSociety DOT org.

Read what they say about it and make up your own mind.

You can also google "the truth about declawing cats" and it should be the first hit to come up.  This is a procedure that only benefits humans who should, IMO, choose a different companion animal or none at all, if possessions are so important.

(As for comparing it to human surgery; that is only done for medical reasons.  Not to save someone's furniture or curtains!)

I checked PETA's site and a few others came up (including WebMD!).

I wasn't challenging anyone, I was just inquiring how they know the pain is constant and forever.  

Our two boys (brothers) didn't seem to have any lasting effects, no biting or aggressiveness, no limping, etc,.

I didn't do it because of furniture, I was afraid of my kids getting scratched to be honest.

Although furniture is huge with me, our two (mother and daughter) don't scratch at furniture, but everything is covered in pestemals and changed out/washed every two or three days because of ....hair!  

I literally do loads of *cat clothes* every couple of days.  The couch alone takes 7.

I truly care about animals, including their treatment before slaughter.  I eat a plant based diet and have for almost 2 decades.  Every pair of shoes/boots/handbags I buy is not made of leather.  Have been searching the last couple of days for a (white) '21 Chev Suburban with 4WD, but don't want leather seatsVery hard to find.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm said I've known people who've lost fingers or parts of their fingers or toes.  Do you think it's still painful?  (My DIL's grandmother has had some of her toes amputated and she said it doesn't bother her--I asked.)

How about someone who's had ALL their toes removed? Not just some but all of them. 

And what about all the stories from amputees that say they feel pain in their amputated parts? 

I would NEVER have a cat declawed because of fear they'd scratch my kids. Instead, I'd teach the kids how to treat the cat. Or I wouldn't get a cat. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@Lucky Charm said I've known people who've lost fingers or parts of their fingers or toes.  Do you think it's still painful?  (My DIL's grandmother has had some of her toes amputated and she said it doesn't bother her--I asked.)

How about someone who's had ALL their toes removed? Not just some but all of them. 

And what about all the stories from amputees that say they feel pain in their amputated parts? 

I would NEVER have a cat declawed because of fear they'd scratch my kids. Instead, I'd teach the kids how to treat the cat. Or I wouldn't get a cat. 

I use to work with a man who had his leg removed from the knee down, he had phantom pain also. I really can't imagine how that would be. 

The little cat has not been back, I guess she did have a home.  

Esteemed Contributor

During the recent process of my kitten adoptions I was informed that it is illegal to declaw cats, the question was on the application which I didn't understand.  I have never declawed any of my cats (yes I paid the price with my couch back then but now I know better) except for one I found when I was in college back in the 80's was declawed.

My cats have always been indoors but they do love to go outside on the porch in the warm weather which is entirely screen in.