Honored Contributor

Re: What should I do for Injured feral cat?

Leonardo Da Vinci

QUOTE Leonardo

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Charles Darwin

QUOTE Darwin

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Camper, since I also take care of stray cats in my area (not necessarily feral but without homes), my vet will give me a call if someone does not pick up their prescription for amoxycillin.  Once mixed, it is only good (supposedly), even refrigerated, for about 10-14 days.  I always have a few boxes of it, just in case; but, it is a nice savings if your vet can help out when someone decides that they do not want the meds, because at some point the meds will be tossed.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply.   They won't give me antibiotic unless I take the cat in for exam, even with pics.   I went to Banfield and called shelter and both said its prescription and the would need to see her.  She looks like she is healing on her own, walking normal and eating.  The wound is on her back near her tail and doesn't look red anymore.   I don't want to cause her stress so I think Ill keep monitoring as long as she is eating and walking normally.   Thank you all for your advice, it has helped a lot.  I really care for this colony and am committed to taking care of them for life.   

Occasional Contributor

Thank you Naes.  The vets won't give me antibiotic, say prescription and need to examine the cat.   I will go get the milk you mention.  I'm trying all advice and trying to avoid trapping her as I don't want to stress her.  When I trapped her for the TNR it was very hard and she was stressed even though I had the cover over the cage and kept her in the house overnight.  Thank you very much for letting me know the milk can help.   

Respected Contributor

@Camper  I am sure all your good efforts will pay off.  Very hard trying to keep feral cats healthy but nature does do its bit with help from us!

Our last three cats have all been "left" behind by families who have moved away plus the feral guys plus our three rescue dogs we are kept busy but love them all.  Could never move and leave my animals behind - they are family.

Ladies like the quotes you have posted - thank you.

Camper keep up the good work you are doing a great job.