Super Contributor

Hi All, just wanted to let you know that I did stop at my vets after work with the Cushings disease symptoms that she had so many of and asked about Diabetes.

he showed me her blood work, glucose was normal on both times. And he does have Cushings dogs and knows about it but the blood work didn't show any markers for it and that is why he didn't test for it. Her ALT was 85 and totally normal, would be in the thousands he said if it was showing Cushings.

i still wanted to have her tested so she will be going in Wed. Even though it's his afternoon off he will do it for me. She has to get 3 blood draws each 4 hours apart from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. 

She will be so scared if I leave her there alone that long so I. Will take her home and drive her back every 4 hours for this test, I will not let my sweetie ever be scared alone after what she was rescued from at the puppy mill horrors! 

I feel better that there was a reason for vet to not do the test and that he is treating dogs with this. I will update on my sweet little Tote when I get the results.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR BEING THERE !!!   Heart  Heart  Heart

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update and hope you get an answer for your little sweetie Tote soon. The not knowing is always the hardest and that goes for human loved ones too. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Normally, yes, the liver enzymes are elevated in cases of Cushing's Disease, but if you are catching it early, perhaps not.  Ask your vet if he is testing for Atypical as well as Typical Cushing's. 

Something else to consider, I am sorry to say, is to ask for a bladder ultrasound to see if Tote has bladder cancer.  She might or might not have a urinary tract infection with bladder cancer, so a basic urinalysis might not be tell you much, but a good bladder ultrasound should tell you what you need to know.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I am here for you and the Tote.  Please let us know as soon as you receive word....love you for lovin' your little one.

Honored Contributor

Re: UPDATE ON TOTE

[ Edited ]

@nougat  I hope she doesn't have Cushings, and it makes me feel better about your Vet that he did a glucose test and she didn't have the markers for Cushings.  I would still want to try to get to the bottom of whatever it is if he doesn't discover anything with the Cushings test.

I would maybe even consider having the bladder ultrasound that @CamilleP suggested before the Cushings test at this point.  We're all thinking about you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

I certainly will be thinking of and praying for your baby.  I hope they find what is wrong.  For Chloe, she had the Cushing's test twice before being diagnosed.

So many things can cause excess peeing, including old age.  

Keep us updated.

Esteemed Contributor

@nougat, thank you for the update and for taking such good care of her.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@SXMGirl

@bichon mom

thank you both ! 

@bichon mom how did you get the vet to do the test twice since after the first negative it would appear she did not have it so why do again?  Just wondering, a lot of people said they couldn't get vets to do just 1 Cushings test. What made them want to repeat it and was there much time in between the 2 tests ?

Super Contributor

@nougat  My vet was almost certain that Chloe had Cushing's Disease based on her symptoms.  She was shocked when first tests came out negative.  Symptoms only worsened.  About 3-4 months later she repeated the test and charged me half of the full price,  This time it was positive.