Trusted Contributor

So Hard To Know When To Let Go

My 8 year old Lab was diagnosed with pancreatitis 3 years ago and has done pretty good during these years, just some eating issues sometimes. So, yesterday he vomited up some stomach acid and I could tell, he wasn't well. So, took him to vet expecting to hear it was a flairup, but, instead, bloodwork showed a hugely elevated white blood cell count and pancreas fine. So, then an Xray showed a large mass on his spleen. Doctor said if it started bleeding, it would be fatal. Options - surgery would buy him about 6 months or euthanasia. I was in such shock because there had no signs until yesterday. This was at an emergency animal hospital I had never been to and if we were to euthanize, I preferred my vet to do it. So, we brought him home, but, he seems worse this morning. I don't want him suffering at all. Just can't believe it happened so fast.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: So Hard To Know When To Let Go

So sorry @Sapphiregal .  I find it's one of the most difficult things to do in life.  God bless.

Respected Contributor

@Sapphiregal I am sorry things have taken a turn for the worse. Your vet probably has someone covering the office this weekend. Call and follow any instructions on their answering device. Your baby is suffering and deserves relief.

You have my sympathy and empathy. We had to make that difficult decision two years ago with our bulldog. Be strong for your fur baby. Best of luck today.

Respected Contributor

I am so very sorry. My husband's boxer had a growth on his spleen, and it did burst. We had no clue anything was wrong until then. It was very painful and horrific to see him suffering. We made the decision to let him go, because who would want their beloved fur baby going through that? Better a week too soon than a day too late. We set him free from his pain so ours could begin.

Respected Contributor

@Sapphiregal It is the hardest part of loving our pets.

Hug your dog, tell him you love him (Which he already knows.).

I am sending you & your family all of the hugs.

Trusted Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Sapphiregal I am sorry things have taken a turn for the worse. Your vet probably has someone covering the office this weekend. Call and follow any instructions on their answering device. Your baby is suffering and deserves relief.

You have my sympathy and empathy. We had to make that difficult decision two years ago with our bulldog. Be strong for your fur baby. Best of luck today.

My vet clinic stopped doing after hours care a couple of years ago. That is why we had to go to this emergency animal hospital. It was a 30 minute drive, which, just serves to make my poor baby more miserable.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

So very sorry this is happening to you.  

Regular Contributor

@Sapphiregal   My heart breaks for you, I'm very sorry.

Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal 

Such a hard thing to go thru for everyone.  Your precious dog lasted 3 years after his diagnosis.  It's one of the hardest things we pet owners have to do: decide to let them go and free them from the pain.  I certainly understand the desire to take him to your own vet if you decide to have him put to sleep.  Bless your heart.  My Lab died in my arms at 3 in the morning 7 years ago.  I'm not sure if she realized I was holding her when I woke up to her cries and got to her.  

Please PLEASE consider welcoming another dog into your home soon.  So many need forever homes and someone to give their unwavering love to.  Even if it seems impossible now, another dog can help ease the pain of losing your dog.  Six weeks after losing my Lab, a stray dog entered our lives.  We saved a life and I credit him for saving mine!

Dog is God spelled backwards.

Clipboard01.jpg

Valued Contributor

Look into your dogs eyes, he will tell you.  Mine did and I had to wait an extra day because of a holiday.  The last day was agony.