Respected Contributor

@CamilleP 

FAB plan, and one I will keep in my helpful hints arsenal if ever needed.

Super Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

Yikes - that IS stinky....uh, who buries fish heads?  is it helpful for the soil?  Am I missing something?

Yeah, evidently it's a thing.  Good for plants. Ugh.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

Why did the neighbor bury the fish heads? Yes, fish emulsion is a great fertilizer for plants, veggies, etc.

You can buy it in most garden centers.

And yes, tomato juice is the best remedy whenever our dogs rolled in 'roadkill; of any kind.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Squirrel poo-poo is my girl dog's favorite stinky choice for rolling!

Respected Contributor

Re: P-U TALK ABOUT STINK!

[ Edited ]

Glad I could help, @MoonieBaby , it's the most effective clean-up technique I've ever heard of.

For my skunked Scotties, one conditioner soak and one wash later and neither of them smelled of skunk at all, except my boy's nose leather, he took a full face spray, but his daughter had the sense to turn away and try to run, so she only got hit on one side of her body.  Poor Bucky's nose leather smelled for a couple of days before it wore off, I felt so bad for him, he had to breathe through that nose!  Thankfully he never got a chance to meet a skunk again, I don't know if he learned a lesson and would have avoided one, or if he'd have felt "The Best Defense is a Good Offense" and gone in for the kill right away, before the little stinker could turn to spray him.  I am intensely grateful I never got the chance to find out, because I suspect he would have made the second choice. 

Trusted Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@MrsSB 

The time-honored remedy for being sprayed by a skunk is scrubbing well with a large can of tomato juice, then a good rinse.  Pour it on, spread it around, let it sit a few minutes before rinsing.

A dogs gotta do what a dogs gotta do!  🐕 

@Drythe    Unfortunately that didn't work for my white long haired Persian cat.  She got sprayed by a skunk and I tried the tomatoe juice...rinsed thoroughly...and she still turned Pink.  Her fur eventually returned back to white...but it was at least a few weeks.  🙀

Honored Contributor

I had a dog that rolled in some fresh cow poop and it was so bad that I didn't even recognize him when I saw him. I ended up taking him to the groomer. There was no way that I was going near him....nope not a chance.

Honored Contributor

@MrsSB       My goodness this reminded me of many years ago when DH and I were in our 20's and living in SunValley Idaho in the boonies.... we had two irish setters that were always getting into trouble!  They came across a dead carcass of a Elk and rolled around in it like your dog did.... came home smelling to high heaven!  Must just be a dogs dream to find something dead and rotten to roll in LOL!

Respected Contributor

@CamilleP 

Scotties - as in plural???

OH MY GOODNESS, how blessed you are - My first dog (MacGregor) was a glorious, gorgeous and silky furred lil fellow.  A most precious Scotty dog.  He looked a bit like Fala (FDR's dog)

Yesterday (November 2nd) was his birthday.  He passed when I was 16 and he was 14...

Every year, ever since, on 11-2  I call my mom to say  "Gregor would've been...and fill in the age. 

Last night I called her to say Gregor would've been 56 today and we both laughed and reminisced how awesome he was and how we dearly miss him.

If you can post pics of your babies, I would love to see them.

Respected Contributor

@MoonieBaby  Yes, I used to show and breed Scotties, so I had dogs from anywhere from two to five generations living with me at different times.  Add in the Rescues I fostered and placed, and it was quite a housefull sometimes.  At one point I had 7 of my own and 3 fosters, and walking ten dogs all at the same time was fun and a huge logistical challenge, both!   I got lots of attention at the parks we walked in, for sure!