Honored Contributor

Orphaned Baby Orangutan Rescued!

This is the moment a tiny baby orangutan is rescued after being found alone in a palm oil plantation in West Borneo.

A plantation worker called Rahman found the adorable ape crying in the bushes and reported the discovery to his manager.

Thinking the baby's mother would return to retrieve him, they left him where he was but when they went back the next day they were upset to discover he was still in the same place, all alone.

A team from International Animal Rescue and members of the Natural Resources Conservation Centre in West Borneo travelled to the oil palm plantation in Tanjung Pasar Village where Rahman and his co-workers were waiting to hand the baby over.

The team then named the little ape Rahman, after the man who found him.

His rescue came as organisations all over the world were about to celebrate International Orangutan Day on Sunday.

'It's a tragedy to find a baby orangutan without its mother, alone, vulnerable and distressed,' IAR chief executive Alan Knight said.

'Rahman should have been in his mother's care for the next six or seven years of his life.

'Instead, she is nowhere to be found. It's highly likely that she has been killed as yet another victim of hunters or agricultural workers protecting their crops.

'Thankfully he is in safe hands now and will be given expert treatment and care at our centre which is currently home to 109 rescued orangutans.'

Rahman being cared for by IAR vets after he was found alone on the palm oil plantation

The organisation said it was highly likely his mother was killed by hunters or agricultural workers protecting their crops

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6074039/Baby-orangutan-rescued-palm-oil-plantation-Indonesia...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Orphaned Baby Orangutan Rescued!

So sad.  I'm glad he was found.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

What a sweet face!  So glad that he was found and is now safe.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

What a sweet face!  So glad that he was found and is now safe.  

@SXMGirl

I know!Heart

Of course I used to have a spider monkey, so I'm partial to those sweet little faces, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for a beautiful, positive story.  Things like this were meant to happen.  Happy Day!

Honored Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

Thank you for a beautiful, positive story.  Things like this were meant to happen.  Happy Day!

@Equuleus

"His rescue came as organisations all over the world were about to celebrate International Orangutan Day on Sunday."

I agree!Heart

And today is International Orangutan Day.....so appropriate to read this heartwarming story today!

And ya' gotta love his 'bed head' hair!, LOL!

I can relate.......sigh.

Honored Contributor

Better that we all stop using palm oil so these areas will stop being cut down and there will be an end to these tragic stories.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I have always loved Oranguntan's....when I was a little girl my baby doll was a babydoll monkey....I love that sweet face!

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom

I am so glad he was rescued. That hair -do is great.

Hey , I posted on a thread in among friends complementing a posters new hair style and it is now gone. What happened? Did that one turn bad?

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

So happy for this innocent creature -- his face and eyes are so haunting.

I always wish we could know what they are thinking.

It makes my heart so sad to think of the cruelty that might have taken his mother.