Honored Contributor

Sadie, who’s 14, went for her regular senior checkup. She goes every 6 months for full checkup and in between for blood work since she takes meds for Cushing. Last week her visit cost $350! Of course, we want her to have excellent care, but then add the meds and separate lab tests...whew!!!! 

Sure glad we have pet insurance!!

Honored Contributor

Re: SENIOR DOG VET BILLS!!!!

As much as I would like to have a dog and I know they add a lot to a person's life, stories like this make me realize that I probably will never have a pet.  They are like humans with their ailments and cost of care.  Too much for me!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not typically one to keep unnecessary papers and things of that nature, but for some reason I still have all of my pet records.  

My husband and I got our first dog three weeks after we married in 1983.  When we had her spayed, the vet bill was -- you won't believe it -- $35!

My current female puppy is to be spayed in 2 weeks.  I was given an estimate with a low of $450 to a high of $620.  Isn't that ridiculous?  And that doesn't include the $120 I spent the other day on "pre-op" tests.  I remember when "pre-op" tests weren't done on animals.  It's a racket.  But what can you do?

Respected Contributor

you can decline the pre-op bloodwork if you choose. 

I quit going to my last vet for a couple of reasons.

They were always trying to pad the bill IMO. 

I get that they are a business, but i also know i'm the customer. 

they can advise me all they want, but i make the decisions in the end. 

Honored Contributor

It's sad but i think this is why so many people dump old dogs.  The dogs develop conditions of old age and many families cant afford the high vet bills to maintain them.  The poor dog ends up at animal control confused and scared, wondering what he did to have his family abandon him.

The collie rescue group, with which I've volunteered since 2003, will take any dog in any condition.  Some that come to our attention are very old and all we can do it provide vet care and a comfy, loving home where he can live out his days.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Citrine1.  What can you do?  Seek out a low-cost spay and neuter clinic.  Your local animal control can probably give you information.  If its $500, to spay a dog, it's no wonder there are so many unwanted puppies.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Some shelters can put you in touch with a low cost spay/neuter program. The cost of some shots can be lowered by shelters as well. When I had my cats spayed everything cost me over $500.00 each. Now every time I take them in for their shots I get scolded for no scheduling them for dental. Are you kidding me? I can't get myself in for dental work and they want $400.00 for the procedure on each cat, but wait there's more. You have to have presurgery tests for another $200.00 each or they can't have the dental. About $1,000.00 for the 2 of them. And that's if there aren't any complications. I love my kitties, but their dental will have to wait at least until I can get in to see a dentist myself. The tests and whatever procedure the doctor decides they need are sky high in price. My vet drives a Lexus while I drive an old Ford. I was in the wrong business.

Honored Contributor

$500 to have a cat spayed??

Highway robbery.

I paid $100 for mine and that included all their shots.

I agree with @Kachina624  Probably the reason many dogs & cats are mistreated.

I live in a low income area.    It can be an advantage.    There are always offers of low cost vet care.    There are probably a half dozen clinics within a few miles of my house but 2 of them cater to low income.

And talk about a Lexus?   One of the vets has his own plane.

@shopperqvc wrote:

Some shelters can put you in touch with a low cost spay/neuter program. The cost of some shots can be lowered by shelters as well. When I had my cats spayed everything cost me over $500.00 each. Now every time I take them in for their shots I get scolded for no scheduling them for dental. Are you kidding me? I can't get myself in for dental work and they want $400.00 for the procedure on each cat, but wait there's more. You have to have presurgery tests for another $200.00 each or they can't have the dental. About $1,000.00 for the 2 of them. And that's if there aren't any complications. I love my kitties, but their dental will have to wait at least until I can get in to see a dentist myself. The tests and whatever procedure the doctor decides they need are sky high in price. My vet drives a Lexus while I drive an old Ford. I was in the wrong business.

Honored Contributor

For me, having pet insurance is a necessity.  I don't have a pet with high vet bills right now but definitely have in the past.  When my last dog died I told myself that I would get pet insurance with my next dog, and I did.  I have it for my dog and my cat.  I have a $100 annual deductible, and it pays 90% of my Vet bills.  It does not pay for routine care or vaccinations, but I can budget for that.  I've been very happy with it.

I feel like I go to the best Vet in town, and I don't want to change Vets to get a cheaper price.  I trust my Vet completely and feel that's important.

@Shanus  I know what you mean about Cushings being expensive to treat.  My sister's dog has Cushings disease, and she has to have blood work frequently, and the medicine is expensive.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

For me, having pet insurance is a necessity.  I don't have a pet with high vet bills right now but definitely have in the past.  When my last dog died I told myself that I would get pet insurance with my next dog, and I did.  I have it for my dog and my cat.  I have a $100 annual deductible, and it pays 90% of my Vet bills.  It does not pay for routine care or vaccinations, but I can budget for that.  I've been very happy with it.

I feel like I go to the best Vet in town, and I don't want to change Vets to get a cheaper price.  I trust my Vet completely and feel that's important.

@Shanus  I know what you mean about Cushings being expensive to treat.  My sister's dog has Cushings disease, and she has to have blood work frequently, and the medicine is expensive.  

@NickNack  Yes, we’ve had pet insurance for the last several beagles. When Sophie (the beagle before Sadie & Molly) had cancer at age 12 and was treated at the specialty vet clinic, the cost was out of sight. Eventually, we were at that, “Well, we can keep her comfortable, but....” stage and we had to put her down. Thank God for insurance. Worth every penny. 

***Cushings testing is often & meds not inexpensive. Sadie’s made it 2 yrs. passed the expected 3 years after early diagnosis. What price can you put on that?