Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice re: senior dog

I had a Samoyed with herniated disks.  In his later years, he had the same problems you are describing.

it was quite a chore to keep a pure white dog with very long fur clean.  It got so bad, he could no longer stand up.

Prayers for Jake coming his way.

Frequent Contributor

@SeaMaiden...  Where in the post does OP say or even hint that she is planning to put her dog down??  Kind of rude to assume, and to judge.  

Two things- Kicking someone when they're down is the definition of LOW.

And keeping an ill, infirm pet alive simply because YOU can't let go is the definition of SELFISH.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@scoop wrote:

Our dog Jake is about 12 years old (we think).  We adopted him in 2012 and he came from a good home but we don't know much about his health history.  He goes for his 6 month senior wellness check ups at the vet and we were told he does have some back issues which impact his hind legs.  His hind legs seem to be collapsing more and more when he walks and he's constantly stumbling.  He also seems to have some sort of dementia because he stares into space.  Three times already at night, he has pooped on his bed.  This morning after I took him out, he came in, laid on his bed, and his tail went up in the air, which was odd, and he got up and there was poop. He seems to be losing control of his bodily functions.  We're taking him to the vet tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their senior pets.  I don't have a good gut feeling about this. 

@scoop     just like people and wearing depends diapers...... old dogs lose function too.  I had a 14 year old irish setter who had bad hips and lost control of his bowels.... So I bought adult diapers and cut a hole in them for his tail... then at night he did not mess the bed. I also used a towel to help him outside to lift his back legs some so he could walk around the yard.  You do what you can just like you would for your Mother or Father or loved one.

THEY will let you know when it is time to take OTHER MEASURES..  they will stop eating... etc. You will just know...

. but just because they are older and having older issues is not reason to put them down to CONVIENCE YOU. 

That is a terrible thing to say to the op.

@goldensrbest  No, it is frank and to the point.  Dogs get old just as we do....you do not put them down  because it is too hard for  you to lift the them or whatever.   Do not have pets if  you  can not deal with older/elder  pet issues.  It is part of owning pets. They are not always healthy and young. 

Like people, dogs are intitled to some dignity at the end of life.  Laying on the floor unable to get up in diapers is not what any pet of mine deserves.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@scoop, I am so sorry about your sweet Jake.  I really don't have anything to what the others have posted, except that our vet recommended selegiline for help with dementia when Happy was acting strangely.  We found that she had a uti and was in some pain and not dementia.  I hope your vet can give you some answers, maybe with some suggestions that were offered here.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

MY VET SAID TIME IS CLOSING IN.  SHE NEVER SUGGESTS PUTTING HIM DOWN.

I APPRECIATE NOT MAKING MY DECSION FOR ME.

Frequent Contributor

@Santoni- with all due respect, I think most of the comments here are directed at the original poster, not you.
Honored Contributor

@scoop  I hope all goes well at the Vet today.  I'll be thinking about you.  Please let us know what he/she says.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

Dear Pet Lover friends,

I wanted to let you know that Jake's visit went well.  He has back issues and that impacts on his hind leg muscles.  The vet said they were inflamed and prescribed Rimadyl for the inflamation and pain.  He's already taking Gabapentin as well so hopefully the Rimadyl will help him. He does have dementia and his eyesight is cloudy but otherwise his heart is good and we keep him at a good weight (he's a lab/shepherd mix).  Obviously age is a big part of this but if we can keep him comfortable but somewhat active, that's half the battle.  I want to thank all of you for your good wishes.  I so appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad the visit went well.  I've given Rimadyl to my senior dogs at different times, and it helped a lot.  I'm sorry about the incontinence issues.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

Thank you, NickNack.  The vet said in re: to the incontinence issues, that Jake could have been nervous.  I don't know.  We'll keep a close eye on him.  Hopefully, he won't have any side effects from the medication.