Frequent Contributor

Our dog Jake is about 12 years old (we think).  We adopted him in 2012 and he came from a good home but we don't know much about his health history.  He goes for his 6 month senior wellness check ups at the vet and we were told he does have some back issues which impact his hind legs.  His hind legs seem to be collapsing more and more when he walks and he's constantly stumbling.  He also seems to have some sort of dementia because he stares into space.  Three times already at night, he has pooped on his bed.  This morning after I took him out, he came in, laid on his bed, and his tail went up in the air, which was odd, and he got up and there was poop. He seems to be losing control of his bodily functions.  We're taking him to the vet tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their senior pets.  I don't have a good gut feeling about this. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice re: senior dog

@scoop  I don't have any experience with this.  I just want to express my concern and know that you are worried about your Jake.  Please keep us posted about your appointment.  Our dogs are family and so precious, so I understand your feelings. I'm sure Jake knows things are not right in his world, both of you are in my prayers.

Frequent Contributor

Phoenixbrd,  thank you for your kind words.

Esteemed Contributor

It can be a number of things, or even a combination.  Mt moms dog was diagnosed with arthritis and Degenerative Myelopathy.  No cure for either but many options to keep them comfortable.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Scoop,  I can tell your furbaby Jake has a wonderful and loving home.  My brother's dog is now 14yrs young, and is starting to have some of the same problems you are having with Jake.  He took her to his Vet and the Vet said unfortunately her accidents in the house and joint mobility problems stem from her age.  My brother and sister-in-law just take such wonderful care of her just as you do.  I know at some point for my brother the right thing to do will be hardest thing to do.  I think your Vet will give you good advice on Jake's state of health and then at least you will know what your options are.  keep us posted. 

Honored Contributor

There are dog diapers on the market for both female & male dogs.  Diapers come in all sizes.  There are a few senior dogs in the building I live in. 

I have a house cat that poops in his crate every time I take him to the vet or kennel.  Always pooped while in the car.  I couldn't get all 4 windows down fast enough.

When I got my new car last year, I did not want to lose that "new car smell" so I purchased a pack of doggie diapers.   We are both now happy campers (I have the scars to prove it).

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Occasional Contributor

Have had 4 dog that age caused this type of problems with care and medication able to slow progression on 3 of thems  problems . Sounds like a disc problem  only your vet can tell you for sure. Sending best wishes.  

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortuntaly every thing you list - yes been there with 15 year old dog. Stared in space - like frozen on her feet - body functions - all of it very familiar.  Sorry - wish I could say it will go away..

Esteemed Contributor

I've had senior dogs and just like people their systems start to fail as they age. Every dog is different. It's good that he has regular check ups so you can track his issues. It's the sadder part of pet ownership. We always have large dogs so when the kidneys, bladder start to fail , it's tough. Mobility is another issue. There are medications and supplies available now to help with some of these issues which I'm sure the vet will discuss. At some point, the human has to decide what is best for the quality of life of the pet. I wish you good luck with your visits.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for your comments and input.  I really do appreciate it.  I will let you know what happens after our visit tomorrow with the vet.