Honored Contributor

Sambo has feline asthma.  Normally, he is well controlled on his prednisolone, but it seems all this pollen in the air is giving him problems.  Usually, I only have to give him a nebulizer treatment about once every 3 or 4 months, but he's already had to have 2 in the last week.  Luckily, he tolerates it well.

Sambo Treatment.jpg

Honored Contributor

AWW, is Sambo in some sort of a tank?  That right there would be a problem with my cats.  You can't put them anywhere enclosed.  Was your cat wheezing or snoring or sneezing a lot?

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddesswe have a kitty prone to upper respiratory infections and have to do nebulizer treatments for her too.

Do you keep your house closed up during these first blasts of pollen?  Ours is coming out in record force in our area and we have to keep the windows closed.

Also, try talking to your vet about alternating the pred with just saline....it's sort of like a neti pot for human sinuses.  Our kitty became a diabetic and could do antibiotic in her nebulizer but no pred anymore -- and we've had great success with saline on off days.  Just a thought.

Your kitty is adorable, by the way!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm , it's a Rubbermaid container.  They showed me at the ER Vet how to turn one into a nebulizer, but you do have to have a prescription for the nebulizer, the albuterol, and even the saline solution.  

He gets wheezy and I can see that even when he's resting he's breathing harder than the other guys.  Today, he jumped on the chair to sit behind me and I noticed he was also open-mouth breathing.  That was one of the symptoms they asked me about when we took him into the ER.  At that time he had to have his chest tapped a couple of times.  My local vet didn't give him much of a chance, but he's been doing quite well.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 , we use albuterol in the nebulizer, not pred, but he does get a daily dose of prednisolone that I squirt in his mouth with a syringe.  It's chicken/beef flavored so he seems to be ok with it.  I am concerned though that he will eventually develop diabetes from the long-term use of prednisolone.  A lot of people use Flovent with a little mask and inhaler, but I can't get him to accept the mask.  He's not treat-oriented which is whay most use to get their cats to accept the mask.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 , forgot to add, we do keep the house closed pretty much year-round.  I also have an air filter next to the litter boxes.

Honored Contributor

Your Sambo looks like my cat Moe.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Sending Good Wishes to Sambo.

What a sweetie he is.  I’m so glad you can do this for him.  💕

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe, he's a very good boy.  I have to wonder if he recognizes that it makes him feel better almost immediately.  He's always extra loving and hungry when the treatment is done.  

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Your Sambo looks like my cat Moe.

@blackhole99, the first litter of kittens we ever had had a Moe in it.  A stray showed up and my sister started feeding it.  Pretty soon we had a litter of kittens.  there were 4 of them and we named them Eenie, Meenie, Miney, and Moe.