Honored Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH SENIOR DOG!

[ Edited ]

I had a somewhat similar situation years ago with our elderly Lhasa. She had congestive heart failure and as time progressed she got dementia. She only had one episode in her last few days of losing bowel control while sleeping, but then I was home all day to make sure she went outside even if she didn’t request it.

How does your dog act when you are at home? Does she seem like she knows to go outside when necessary, or does she still just go randomly in the house? If she seems like she still knows what she’s doing, have you tried pee pads in the house? Perhaps if she had that familiar scent available she would at least go in the same spot, which would be easier for you. Also, there are fake grass pad-type things that are available for dogs too.

Also, have you tried not feeding her for a while before you're going to be gone for a long time?  That might help the bowel problems, but you'd still have to leave water so of course peeing would not be stopped, but the diaper thing could help with that.

I have read that there are medications now that help somewhat with canine dementia. If your dog’s mental decline is truly not related to any other physical condition, this might be worth discussing with your vet. But I have no idea what side effects there are or how tricky it is to find the right dosage, or even how much good they do.

You’re right about crating her—if she apparently can’t control herself, putting her in a crate for an extended period would only cause her to mess herself and the crate, which would stress you both even more. And she might do what my dog did when she found herself contained and alone: scream continuously, which could cause problems with your neighbors since you live in a townhouse, not to mention being cruel to the dog.

I can only relate what my own experiences was, and this might not apply in your situation, but dementia in dogs is like dementia in people—it only gets worse, not better. You might be able to manage it for a while, but there is no cure. I’m afraid I have no good advice for you, especially considering her age. No one likes to consider the unthinkable, but there often comes a time when it’s necessary to at least start thinking about it. It all depends on how long you and your pup can continue without causing too much harm and/or distress to either of you. In the end, sometimes that’s actually the only last loving act you can perform for your best buddy.

My best to you and your little one.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick wrote:
Yes, I have. She does not have any medical conditions. As I have said, she is doing well for a 15 year old. She would be around 90 yrs old in human years.

----------------------------------------------------------

I just euthanized my dog 3 days ago.

I would suggest you go to a different vet.  Your dog needs a prognosis, and if your vet thinks peeing & pooping in the house isn't a sign of "something", then go somewhere else.  YOUR DOG IS TRYING to tell you something.

If you don't know where else to go, then check the reviews on YELP, and DO NOT, I repeat, do NOT go to a vet that has any bad reviews.  I took my dog to FOUR different vets until I finally found a good one who had all five star reviews.  Unfortunately, it was too late.  Once I started approaching $10,000, I had to call it quits.  Don't let yourself fall prey to bad veterinary care.  And let me tell you, there are a TON of bad vets out here.  The first four I'd been going to refilled a prescription for a drug numerous times that eventually killed her.  So, along with the vet's help, for 9 months, I participated in the murder of my dog..  Once the damage is done, it's done!  I cannot emphasze to you enuf, "Don't let yourself fall prey to bad veterinary care."

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

I know what is happening is due to old age. I just wanted suggestions on what to do that would help this situation. She is 90 years old. I am not dragging her back and forth to the vet. THAT would be inhumane. As I said, she is fine, and not in any pain. She loves to eat, and knows me and my daughter. And unfortunately, spending 10,000 on her would never be in the cards. I do not know how people have that kind of money to spend. We love her to death, but I know her time is coming
Esteemed Contributor

I have to agree with Rina.   Go to another vet.  I could be wrong, but it sounds as if your vet listened to what was going on with your dog and chalked it up to them being a senior dog - 90 years compared to a human.  That would be like taking your parent to the doctor with a complaint of incontinance and having them say, "They are old." 

You want to have test run to rule out infection, cancer, etc.  In the meantime, I can relate to the urinating in the house.  I had a great old guy (115 pounds!) that became incontinent in the end.  I used a depends like pad hooked on with an elastic/velcro back band that went around his waist.  It worked for us.  This isn't for everyone.  I didn't want anyone to judge me for doing this and would never judge anyone that didn't want to do this.  It is all individual.

I feel for what you are going through.  It is part of loving a pet........the hard part.  Please let us know what you work out.  And PLEASE DON'T PUT HIM IN A CRATE!  I just had to say that.......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

qvc chick,

I know what you are dealing and struggling with. I had an older dog with control issues.  

Since you took the pup to the vet, and the vet's diagnosis is old age/loss of control, there are just  few things you can do.

A diaper is one suggestion. 

Another is to gate your pup in a smaller area.  The clean up will be easier for you.  If there is no smaller  area, try something like this....

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/dog-doors/top-paw-petyard-passage-pet-playpen-zid36-19899/cat-36-catid-1...

The panels can come out for a smaller area or added for a larger area.  A scrap piece of linoleum can be used under it for easy clean up and save your floors/carpeting.

If you are not gone for a long time, and your house is a comfortable temp, you can leave ice cubes in the water dish.  If your pup is not very active, she doesn't need to drink huge amounts of water  in a short time.   If your home is very warm, that suggestion may not work.  I don't know where you live or if you have ac.

Maybe a discussion with the vet about the food, suggested by another poster, might be worth it.

Please do not put her in a crate. Eliminating  in her crate is too stressful for her.  

No matter what you do, you will have to clean up when you return home.  I know it is not a pleasant thought, but that is the reality while she is still with you.  

Good luck whatever you choose to do.  Just know, there are many who have been where you are now. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

My advice would be this:  Go to Home Depot and get a roll of the cheap vinyl they sell.  It usually comes in rolls that end up being 6' by 8', but it's easy to cut to size with scissors.

It costs about $25.

Find a place in your home, preferably with tile or hardwood floor, where you can lay this vinyl out.  It is very easy to clean up.   Do you have a flexible wire pen?  You can surround this area with the pen.  This way, you can keep your doggie confined in a reasonably large area that is easy to clean, where she can move around, when you cannot be with her.  I know you said your home is small, but hopefully you can think of a spot for this.

The other suggestion I have is to regulate her feeding.  Is she allowed to graze all day?  Maybe you can feed her only at set times, morning, noon, evening, or however is best.  Then you might know better when she might need to go, and when you are home, you can take her out around that time.  For example, my dog usually needs to poo about two hours after a meal.  He will hold it, but if I give him the opportunity, he will go.

Anyway, I feel for you, and I wish you luck through this.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

From your earlier post, it seems you've been struggling with this for months.  I have had dogs with this problem, too, since I take in only older dogs and many of them do get to this point.  It's not fun for either you or for the dog.  

You've had some excellent suggestions, not the least of which is looking for another vet.  Yelp is your friend in this.

I ended up using a wire pen lined with waterproof material as the posters suggested.  

Unfortunately, if it does get to the point where the dog cannot get up to move around, the decision to let her go is closer than you might like.  Even if you were home all day at that point, it would be difficult.

I wish you the best and hope you find a solution that works for you and your dog.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:
I know what is happening is due to old age. I just wanted suggestions on what to do that would help this situation. She is 90 years old. I am not dragging her back and forth to the vet. THAT would be inhumane. As I said, she is fine, and not in any pain. She loves to eat, and knows me and my daughter. And unfortunately, spending 10,000 on her would never be in the cards. I do not know how people have that kind of money to spend. We love her to death, but I know her time is coming

qvc chick,

I hope I didn't upset you with either of my posts.  That was never my intention.  This is an upsetting enough time as it is.  Having been through this myself, I guess we just have to get creative.  My dog had to be helped up so it was pretty easy to contain him.  There have been good suggestions here and hopefully one of them will be an answer to your current dilemma.  It is hard when they still enjoy a meal and are still happy to see you when you walk in.  The incontinence pills did not work for my dog, nor did the natural remedies.  It is too bad they can't come up with something that works or at least better pads, etc. 

All the best to you, your daughter, and four legged friend.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

What we did with 2  of ours when this happened is to get cheap rugs and put them all over one room then put the cheap plastic runners over them.  It was easier to clean this way and even if the liners leaked some I just threw the rugs in the washer.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

((hugs))RinaRina, we sent our beloved Gracie over the rainbow bridge a a few weeks ago.........we did it at home, and we held her as we sent her on her journey.

qvc chick, If the time comes to consider sending your beloved pet over the rainbow bridge, please consider doing it at home, in your loving arms.   I'd never heard of doing it at home until very recently. 

I edited for spelling becasue I don;t know how to spell check anymore....