Super Contributor
My dog is 15, and is in pretty good condition (for her age). I think she has a little dementia, and a vision problem, but she gets around and eats well. My problem is - she no longer seems to have much control. She has been pooping all over the house, and peeing everywhere. This has been going on for the past few months. It's like she no longer understands she has to go outside to do this. I have a townhouse - there is no place to really no place to close her off. My house is getting destroyed with all the mess she leaves. I tried putting her in the kitchen with a gate, but who wants to come home from work to pee/poop all over the kitchen where you cook dinner? I tried diapers, with mixed success. And of coarse that does not help with the poop. I would feel bad putting her in a crate all day, and besides, I would have to clean out the crate every night and that is a hassle too. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? I am at my wits end!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH SENIOR DOG!

Have you taken her to the vet? She really needs to get a medical check to see what may be behind this (other than 'age').

Super Contributor

Yes, I have. She does not have any medical conditions. As I have said, she is doing well for a 15 year old. She would be around 90 yrs old in human years.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Sammycat.  Take your baby to the vet as soon as you can.  Incontinence comes with aging sometimes, but there could be another problem.  15 is fairly old for a dog and you could be facing some serious problems ie organ failure etc.  It would not be fair to crate this dog especially if it hasn't been crated  before. 

Believe me, your dog isn't happy about this either.  They know they shouldn't be doing this, unless like you said, it could be dementia. 

PLEASE take your dog to the vet.  It is the kindest thing you can do for your dog and for YOU!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

When we had this issue with our dog the vet gave me a special food to give her to make her stools more solid .It helped. However, our dog was not incontinent for urine , just stool.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel your frustration....3 wks ago my 13 year old Cocker was vomiting and diareha everywhere!      To the Vet and we thought it was joint med she had beeeen on for a year with no problem.  Dog was in the hospital for 3 days, IV for meds and liquids - - messes started again after 2 wks off meds.   Colitis was the final determination so meds for bad bugs in digestive system.  She's fine now; but for how long?   Don't know

Previous Cocker was 12 and much like your dog - eyesight - indoor potty - and general bad health.  We had to put her down - and I suspect that's what you now need to consider.  You aren't happy - dog not happy nor healthy.  Time to kiss good-bye.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:
Yes, I have. She does not have any medical conditions. As I have said, she is doing well for a 15 year old. She would be around 90 yrs old in human years.

How recently has she been to the vet?  Did the vet check for spinal tumors -- including x-rays -- rule out parasites, etc., in other words, do an intensive work-up?  Is the fecal incontinence diarrhea or fully formed stools? 

I understand how old she is, and have had old dogs and cats; they age more rapidly than we do, so it's possible that whatever is causing this has "ramped up" since it first started.

There are several solutions, including prescription diets, that your vet can provide to try to help if it's this big a problem now.  A friend of mine had some success with doggy acupuncture.

You say she has dementia ... this can lead to fecal and urinary incontinence in dogs as it progresses. But a definitive cause should be pinpointed by your vet so you can take it from there.

Super Contributor

To answer the question again, I have taken her to the vet. Last month. No problems that were visible
Super Contributor

The vet said it is old age. She is losing control of her bladder, etc. She is like 90 in human years. The situation is probably not going to change. And she is doing well enouogh, so I do not want to put her down! How could I live with myself? I am asking for suggestions!
Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:
The vet said it is old age. She is losing control of her bladder, etc. She is like 90 in human years. The situation is probably not going to change. And she is doing well enouogh, so I do not want to put her down! How could I live with myself? I am asking for suggestions!

Not sure what kind of suggestions you are expecting.  The issues are not going to change, how you manage the situation is up to you.  Getting old sucks for both people and dogs.  Containing her into an area that can be easily cleaned seems like the only solution.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.