Super Contributor

My labradoodle and Stairs!! Need help

I have a 11 year old Labradoodle, who weighs probably around 85 lbs.

I have hardwood stairs in my home, no carpet.  The last few months he kind of struggled to climb the stairs - he would back up and then turn, and then climb the staires.

Well last night, for whatever reason, he couldn't do the stairs.  My other dog who is younger, ran up .  Both dogs sleep in my king bed with me every night.  

I was so sad!!  I didn't want him to think we forgot about him, so I slept on the sofa downstairs to keep him company.  

Any tips on what I can do??  Maybe put carpeting on the stairs, I don't know.  I cant really pick him up, he is too big.  

Other than this problem, he is in pretty good health for a 11 yr old dog.

But I am sad!!  Can't think of him never coming upstairs again!!!

Help!

Honored Contributor

Re: My labradoodle and Stairs!! Need help

[ Edited ]

I think for his safety ,he needs to stay downstairs, you do not want him to fall, does your dog have arthritis? It is sad, i wonder if there are peel and stick,stair trends you could try.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I like the idea of covering the treads with something that isn't slippery.  

When we have had dogs get weak or unsteady in their back legs, we have made a sling out of a narrow piece of material and placed it in front of the hind legs.  It gives them stability.  I would practice it during the day and not wait until it time to go to bed.  Also, make sure that you shut the bedroom door so the dog doesn't attempt the steps alone during the night.

It sounds as if your dog is doing okay other than this.  It is hard when you have to start making these type adjustments.  We love them so much.

We have also had to move downstairs to another bedroom during end times, but it doesn't sound like that you are there yet.

I hope you can come up with a solution that works for you and your dog.

All the best~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Our collie was a rescue. His first 6 years he lived in a barn. We got him and we live in a rancher. In fact when we first got him, my husband slept on the floor in the family room, next to his bed the first few nights. So when we went to a cabin in the woods, he had to learn to do steps. And he had no trouble.

As he got older, he started to not do as well on the stairs or hardwood floors. And his walks became slower and shorter. His pace slowed down, He knew what was best for him physically. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick @There are hundreds of styles online that might work perfectly. Here's just a few. Google "device to help dogs walk up the stairs. Look at the one here by ORVIS, $39. There's even a stairlift called The Pawlift here in the pictures. 

IMG_2547.jpegIMG_2546.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would try the peel and stick stair treads, and if they don't help (or in addition to) the Orvis stair helper. You are a very good mom to think of his needs this way, I'm sure he appreciates it.  Also ask your vet about adding Cosequin to his diet, it has done wonders for our 23 year old kitty.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

@qvc chick   Easy fix.  Carpet the stairs.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick   Treads might keep paws from sliding, but they don't give the fur baby any additional strength. IMO treads are not the answer. I don't think carpet is the answer either.

I agree with @goldensrbest  that for his safety, he should stay downstairs.

Or, the doggie stair lift looks like a reasonable solution.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've fostered several senior goldens. Stairs are a challenge and the best thing I found to do is make a comfortable place where stairs aren't needed. I know that can be disrupting b/c I've been there. But if you want the dog to be safe and happy then climbing stairs has to be out of the picture. Stairs become terrifying to dog who can't climb them.

ETA-

Most of the time it's not a grip issue but rather an issue with the dog's physical ability to climb. Strength and agility become problematic with age which can be joint related (the hip and back legs). Same goes for us old folks, too.

Contributor

Our 8 year old Jack Russell was having the same problem. Started giving him Cosequin and within a few days he was back climbing the stairs with ease. You can buy online or ar places like Walmart. Hope it helps your baby too