Esteemed Contributor

Re: My labradoodle and Stairs!! Need help

@KathyM23 Not always.......I have carpet and my Spaniel would zoom up the stairs until..........age set in and she would fall from the 4th step.

It was sad to see her sad face as she settles for the first floor to sleep.

Esteemed Contributor

We have GSD's and an older home. Our stairway is a bit narrow and steep with our home. Our male has some issues with the steps because he doesn't have enough room at the bottom to get the boost up to jump. I install carept stair treds with some self stick pads underneath. They both can be removed for cleaning but work well. 

Valued Contributor

Another thing to consider is your dog's paw pads--do they have a lot of fur growing on them?  If so, that can make wooden stairs especially slippery.  You could shave the fur down so that his paw pads have more traction on the stairs.  Just be aware that the fur being gone won't protect his paws from hot pavement on walks, though.  I also second the suggestion for Cosequin.  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

🐕 How about starting with a consultation with you regular vet and / or a reputable trainer? Your vet can assess medical issues, and recommend medications as needed. A trainer can give you expert advice on equipment that will meet your dog's personal needs, and make life easier. 

Even consider talking with someone from your local animal rescue center. They rescue so many animals that suffer various issues due to neglect and aging, and could most likely recommend something or steer you in the right direction.

Honored Contributor

Have you discussed your dog's  condition with your vet?  That ought to be your first stop.  There are treatments and medications that could alleviate painful conditions but first you must determine what the problem is.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@qvc chick , a few years back, I had big Lab, 100lbs.  He always slept in my bed.  I keep a padded bench at the foot, and suddenly he wouldn't come up.  I tried everything to temp him, but he looked at me as to say, "I cant".  So I put his bed and blankets on the floor near me, and that's where he continued to sleep.   He was in great health for all I can tell, then suddenly a lump popped out on his front leg.  He was diagnosed with bone cancer.  

All I'm saying, is there's always a good reason when pup says, I'm not doing that anymore.   Usually, and hopefully with your pup, it's just an age thing, joints hurting.  Lots of help available for that.  You may want to have him checked thoroughly...my best to you.

P.s.  I understand how you feel about not having him sleep with you...I was literally going to put my mattress on the floor...no frame or boxspring. 

Super Contributor

We had the same issue with our small terriers.  Hardwood stairs were no problem until they hit a certain age.  It was sometimes a vision problem, not a hip issue.  We use rubbery backed treads that can be lifted up and thrown in the washer.  Dogs have no issues now going up and down the stairs.  When the treads are in the wash they won't use the stairs.  Even if they are young, if their nails are too long then hardwood stairs are slippery.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't you have an extra room downstairs, e.g., office, dining room, .tv room that you could convert to your master bedroom?  

Changing rooms around will not only accommodate your pup, but might be a nice change for you!

Once they have trouble on stairs, it's not gonnaget better.  Certainly check with the vet, but be open to change.

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

I have a 11 year old Labradoodle, who weighs probably around 85 lbs.

I have hardwood stairs in my home, no carpet.  The last few months he kind of struggled to climb the stairs - he would back up and then turn, and then climb the staires.

Well last night, for whatever reason, he couldn't do the stairs.  My other dog who is younger, ran up .  Both dogs sleep in my king bed with me every night.  

I was so sad!!  I didn't want him to think we forgot about him, so I slept on the sofa downstairs to keep him company.  

Any tips on what I can do??  Maybe put carpeting on the stairs, I don't know.  I cant really pick him up, he is too big.  

Other than this problem, he is in pretty good health for a 11 yr old dog.

But I am sad!!  Can't think of him never coming upstairs again!!!

Help!

@qvc chick 

Aw .....  well, you've gotten some good advice here.  Checking with the Vet is good, because what if this is a temporary thing?  Sounds like arthritis, but who knows?

After that, if he doesn't improve, think of any improvisations you could make with ramps, elevators ... or a dumbwaiter.   (Only half joking here.)