Esteemed Contributor

Doesn't like to stay in and escapes to the backyard. Especially when I am at the back door and don't watch my back. She did it again but it is dark out and never at night. She was a shelter cat and I guess still likes to be free at times. The backyard has walls thank goodness. After about 45 minutes, never this long she came strolling back. She would of been sooner but my other cat she saw and back outside. I thought they could be friends but it is not working out these 3 years. One sigh of relief by me. And now off to bed I go. Pleasant dreams you all.

Honored Contributor

If you don't want the kitty to get out you will need to take extra precautions when opening the back door.  My girlfriend adopted an outdoor cat and it takes time but you can make it an indoor kitty.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 

Glad she is home safe.  

Aways worry about mine when they are out.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

When I want to go into the garage to get my car out, I have to open the door a crack in my kitchen and put my finger thru to hit the garage door opener, then I go out the front door and go into the garage. If I just try to go thru thru the kitchen door all 3 of them are ready to go running out. The front door, however, has a screen door and it's not as easy to eascape. It's a pain in the butt, especially when there are groceries to bring in, but better safe than sorry.

Honored Contributor

When I'm going outside I always make sure my cat is not at my heels.  I'll tell him to get back, and I never open the door until he does.  When I come back in I open it very slightly and look for him.  He's often right there.  I tell him to get back and wait until he does.  Then I hurry up and get inside and close the door.  He's never gotten out when I didn't want him to.  I would suggest you try something like this.  You have to always be on the alert and know where she is when you open the door.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I usually watch for her. She like to stay under the table which is near the door and the other cat watches for a chance to tease her. My son said to leave the door open and she will come in. That she did on her own.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 

Oh yes, I have one of those too!😄  My younger kitty is fast and sneaky!  I have to be very careful when I open any door because he can be across the room and still make it out the door before I even realize it.  Mine will also wait behind the back door for me and when I come home, he’ll zip around it and fly into the garage, hoping the door is open I suppose.😄

I do let him out when I can be with him.  I don’t have a fenced yard so I have to be careful he doesn’t get into the woods when my back is turned.  I think the reason he likes to be outside so much is because he loves bugs.  Especially the ones that fly up out of the grass, like the grasshoppers and little moths.

He’s just a year old, and even though he gets a lot of play and attention from me and has another cat around, I know he just gets bored inside all the time.  So I do feel a bit sorry for him.  But not enough to let him out all by himself!😄

Respected Contributor

my ex hasbeen and I had a cat named Scooter. An INDOOR cat.

Everytime we fed her we used the phrase EAT- EAT.

One day I came home from work to find him and his pal outside sifting threw tall grass and bushes doing the pssst psssst - "here Scooter" whispers...

I was angry and frightened - how coud she get out? How long was she out???

I called to her "EAT-EAT" and she came bounding out from the bushes across the street and right over to me.

The FEEDING TIME PHRASE was genius at getting a kiddencat on the loose BACK IN MY HOUSE!

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette 

May I offer a good suggestion .. try using a harness & leash.  I do that whenever I take my girls out.  They've never gotten loose on it & they now know when I pick it up, they sometimes come running, anxious to be out.

Or, if it's grass they're after, I sometimes buy the organic pet grass from Petco (if it's nice & green.)  They love it & will munch it at their leisure.  Just water it a few times/week, let it drain a bit & keep in a bowl for the dribbles of water.

Honored Contributor

@ScenicMaine wrote:

@geezerette 

May I offer a good suggestion .. try using a harness & leash.  I do that whenever I take my girls out.  They've never gotten loose on it & they now know when I pick it up, they sometimes come running, anxious to be out.

Or, if it's grass they're after, I sometimes buy the organic pet grass from Petco (if it's nice & green.)  They love it & will munch it at their leisure.  Just water it a few times/week, let it drain a bit & keep in a bowl for the dribbles of water.

@ScenicMaine 

Thank you for the suggestions.🙂

Yes, I have a harness for both of them, but it remains “a work in progress”.  Neither really wants any part of one.  They want outside to investigate all the exciting smells under the bushes or in the grass.

One will once in a while chew on a bit of grass, but the other just wants to get in the grass and cruise for bugs to play with, not eat.  🦗