Respected Contributor

beanie is still not eating.

[ Edited ]

ok, in a nutshell, bean is about 8. she was diagnosed with addisons about 6/7 months ago. things have been going pretty good. she gets a injection once a month. 

she has always been a very picky eater.  

i just looked at the calendar. her last injection was a week ago. we are going on day 3 of no food.  

i'm pretty sure she is drinking, as she has been urinating. 

she acts like she feels ok. yesterday i got her to eat maybe 1 tablespoon of warm cooked chicken. would only eat off my fingers, tiny bits. 

this morning i tried some minced ham. spit it out. tried some creamed chicken and rice. no. won't take a doggy treat. turned up her nose to cooked egg. 

i'm about to start syringing her with some water down her throat to make sure. she took a small lick of plain yogurt. 

she doesn't act like she feels bad at all. 

i'm tempted to go get some ice cream today. she can't resist that. if no luck, i guess vet tomorrow. 

any suggestions?  forgot to add, she is 14lbs, and currently taking steroids, so she should be hungry. 

Honored Contributor

Re: beanie is still not eating.

[ Edited ]

The only advice I have would be to call the Vet first thing tomorrow morning and take her in that day.  I wouldn't want this to go on any longer.  I hope she will miraculously start eating tomorrow.  

Even if you get ice cream and she eats it, I would take her to the Vet tomorrow.  She needs protein.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

I'm sorry , I have no advice  other than to call your vet.  My heart goes out to both you and your beloved Beanie.  It's so very hard when our fur babies are ill.  Please keep us updated.  Hugs and prayers for you anjd Beanie.

New Contributor

I would try Nutracal it comes in a tube and it is highly attractive to dogs with lots of nutrients,  you can buy it at most pet stores.  It stimulates their appetites.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo   You are doing all the right things.    My little boy sometimes won't eat a meal and, rarely, he has not eaten for a day.  I sit in front of his dish tapping on the food and wouldn't tell you how foolish I sound as I coax him to eat.  I'm hoping this will pass quickly for Beanie....has there been a change in the weather recently?  I know when it gets very hot...that's when the picky appetite appears.  Please keep us updated on your precious Beanie.  

Respected Contributor

get in front of a vet. STAT!

Respected Contributor

There is an appetite stimulant your Vet can provide. It all depends on what is causing this.
Valued Contributor

I have an addison's dog.  I start her day with 1/4 cup warmed chicken stock, unsalted.  She loves it and eats her breakfast about 1 hour later.  She is on a mix of Royal canin urinary so and royal canin gastrointestinal fiber response kibble.  She also eats Hills W/D canned dog food.  I cut the can in 4 slices and then give 1/4 of  a slice.  Prescription dog food is expensive and it is not necessary for most dogs but mine has other issues besides addisons.  I have never tried the shots so I cannot comment on that.  I give an oral fludrocortisone 0.1 mg once in the AM and once PM.  All dogs are different and I have been told that I am lucky the oral meds work, but they do for her.  She will be 15 in October.  I know it's a long story but I am hoping some of what I do helps your baby.  Please give the unsalted stock a try.  I think it soothes their stomach.  Also I forgot to say I feed 3 times a day to keep the stomach for getting too empty and then they throw up the yellow bile.  I am thinking that the dogs system is fighting for a new normal with the shot.  Give it time but make sure he or she gets plenty of water or broth.