Honored Contributor

Re: MY FURRYBABY HAS CANCER

[ Edited ]

I am so sorry. Smiley Sad Please keep us updated on treatment. I was told by many vets that dogs don't react to chemo and radiation like humans due, meaning it isn't as debilitating to them as it can be for us, but I always wondered if that is true or they are just more stoic than us?

We had a similar scare awhile back but fortunately, ours really was a shoulder issue and it has been a year or so since it has resolved. However, we had another recent scare when the same dog had an issue with his toe and they couldn't figure out what it was and they suspected possibly cancer. Cancer in the foot- I thought that was odd but they said it isn't that uncommon in older dogs. Fortunately  it was not cancer but is a serious infection that may require hospitalization to administer antibiotics because it is resistant to almost all antibiotics.

I pray for you and your baby. Can I ask what type of dog you have? You stated her size kind of prohibits amputation but I know on the world's largest dog a few years back, a Great Dane, they did the amputation and he did just fine without that leg.

Honored Contributor

I'm very sorry to read this.  I hope you'll be able to get the best help for your sweet girl and that there will be a good outcome.  

Contributor

My English Setter was diagnosed with cancer on April 28, 2014.  The Vet gave him 6 -9 months with chemo.  It has been 16 months in 2 weeks.  He did not react well at all to the chemo.  I finally took it off him after 9 months.  I felt quality was better than quantity.  I still have him with me.  St. Francis of Assisis is the Patron Saint of Pets.  So I will pray that you will still have your best friend with you.  I understand how you feel.  I love my dog so much I bought the GILI inital necklace with his initial.  My husband was wondering where my necklace was with his initial. I did everything for treatment that I felt was best for him.   You will know what will be best for your pet.  Trust in your own judgement.  Best wishes! 

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme, I am so sorry....hugs and prayers being sent your way!

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I am so sorry. Smiley Sad Please keep us updated on treatment. I was told by many vets that dogs don't react to chemo and radiation like humans due, meaning it isn't as debilitating to them as it can be for us, but I always wondered if that is true or they are just more stoic than us?

We had a similar scare awhile back but fortunately, ours really was a shoulder issue and it has been a year or so since it has resolved. However, we had another recent scare when the same dog had an issue with his toe and they couldn't figure out what it was and they suspected possibly cancer. Cancer in the foot- I thought that was odd but they said it isn't that uncommon in older dogs. Fortunately  it was not cancer but is a serious infection that may require hospitalization to administer antibiotics because it is resistant to almost all antibiotics.

I pray for you and your baby. Can I ask what type of dog you have? You stated her size kind of prohibits amputation but I know on the world's largest dog a few years back, a Great Dane, they did the amputation and he did just fine without that leg.

@HappyDaze

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@HappyDaze

Thank you HappyDaze

Jade is a 92lb Yellow Lab, a/k/a English Lab.  I've been reading all about this on Tufts'  oncology website.  I did come across another, ThreePawd (or something like that - sorry, my mind isn't working too well today).  And, I will have her leg amputated if they cannot remove the tumor:  it's small 'cause had the xrays been taken last wk nothing w/h shown.  The Dr told me it was a good thing I went w/ my gut feeling in getting x-rays.  So, I totally recommend to go with your inner feelings and fight 'til you get your way.  (Sorry, don't mean to sound preachy.)  As for your Baby, Jade and I will say extra prayers  0 hopefuly we'll have happy outcomes!  Again, thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

I want to express how grateful I am for all of your love, prayers and positive thoughts.  I am kinda numb right now, so please forgive my brevity.  But, you all are soooo kind and caring and it means more than words can say.  Thank you and Love,  Joanne and Jade 

Super Contributor

Such tragic news, and to question why this is happening to your precious dog will cause you more pain.   You two can fight this together ... be strong, and know your "friends" here will pray for your dog, and for you to have peace of mind.   

Honored Contributor

@nmarie wrote:

My English Setter was diagnosed with cancer on April 28, 2014.  The Vet gave him 6 -9 months with chemo.  It has been 16 months in 2 weeks.  He did not react well at all to the chemo.  I finally took it off him after 9 months.  I felt quality was better than quantity.  I still have him with me.  St. Francis of Assisis is the Patron Saint of Pets.  So I will pray that you will still have your best friend with you.  I understand how you feel.  I love my dog so much I bought the GILI inital necklace with his initial.  My husband was wondering where my necklace was with his initial. I did everything for treatment that I felt was best for him.   You will know what will be best for your pet.  Trust in your own judgement.  Best wishes! 

What an amazing spirit your sweetie has! I have a medallion with St. Franics along with a paw print medallion I wear around my neck every day. I hold it tight and say my prayers to St. Francis whenever I want to pray for any animal. I will include the OP and her Jade and you and your baby in my prayers. Best of luck to you and your baby.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@HappyDaze

Thank you HappyDaze

Jade is a 92lb Yellow Lab, a/k/a English Lab.  I've been reading all about this on Tufts'  oncology website.  I did come across another, ThreePawd (or something like that - sorry, my mind isn't working too well today).  And, I will have her leg amputated if they cannot remove the tumor:  it's small 'cause had the xrays been taken last wk nothing w/h shown.  The Dr told me it was a good thing I went w/ my gut feeling in getting x-rays.  So, I totally recommend to go with your inner feelings and fight 'til you get your way.  (Sorry, don't mean to sound preachy.)  As for your Baby, Jade and I will say extra prayers  0 hopefuly we'll have happy outcomes!  Again, thank you.

I am so happy you went with your gut feeling too. Sometimes it is frustrating with vets but I think most always try to do the best they can. I wish I had went with my gut instinct  and insisted on xrays sooner with my baby who passed away in 2013 from cancer but I just didn't know and all the vets kept saying the tests showed he was perfectly healthy and maybe his lack of eating was just due to old age. That is why with my other dog, I DID insist on more tests and second opinions just to be sure we didn't miss anything. So no, you don't sound preachy at all, just wise. Smiley Happy

Please keep us updated on Jade (and you!). As I said before, I will keep you and Jade in my prayers. Miracles do happen! Take care.