Respected Contributor

Re: Is it selfish to get a dog when you are a senior

@chiclet May you always have love to share and health to spare!  What better way than to share with a friend with a wet nose that will keep a pep in your step and love in your heart, Go for it!! The only limits are those you put on yourself.

Valued Contributor

2Re: Is it selfish to get a dog when you are a senior

@BlueFinch Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing uch a beautiful story.

I don't think it's selfish to get a dog when you are a senior. A relative of mine lost her little dog in February and wasn't planning on getting another but found a puppy she couldn't resist. She is in her early 70's and her husband is not in good health. 

She just told me that pup saved them through the Covid restrictions.

She walks her twice a day and takes her to the dog park. That is one happy dog and mom.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma    I had big dogs, collies, for a number of years and dearly loved them.  However, I discovered during a medical emergency, I had no way of getting an 80lb dog into the back of my SUV.  I had to call 3 friends to come help me and it was still a struggle.

Don't get a dog any larger than you can lift.  I now have a mini Aussie and a mutt.  Neither weighs more than 35 lbs. which I can manage.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Two years ago I lost my yellow Lab and the house was so empty afterwards.  I was 78 at the time and asked the same question - am I too old?  But then I was given the opportunity to adopt a dog rescued from S. Carolina where he was one day away from euthanization.  He was saved by Blind Dog Assoc. and when he got here it was found that he was not at all blind, not that that would have hindered me from adopting.  So here I am now at 80, Spencer is now about 12 and the sweetest little beagle and my house is now filled.  So don't hesitate, check out all shelters, adopt a senior - they will reward you with their heart.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I don't think it's selfish at all.  I think the average number of years a person lives now is very close to 79 years.  Personally, I know many people around where I live who are in their 80's and 90's.  One thing you could do is get in touch with someone involved in doggie rescues if no one in your family wants a pet.  My daughter did Shelty rescues for all sorts of siutations.  She took each Shelty into her home and over the next few weeks evalutated them to find what would be the best envirement for that particular dog.  She then got to interview the people and make recommendations of who and what would be best for said dog.  If she thought the person and the dog didn't fit she didn't give a thumbs up and the dog stayed with her till she found the right person. 

Respected Contributor

I have arrangements for all my pets if something happens to me.  I have a cat, 2 dogs and 2 horses.  The cat and dogs will go to friends who've happily agreed to take them.

For me, the horses were my biggest concern since so few folks are in a position to care for them.  Thankfully my very close friend has assured me she'd take them.  I have $ set aside to go toward their care and my son will make sure he gives her that money.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet   It's not at all selfish to want to get another dog.  You very well could outlive the dog.  I would advise against getting a puppy.  They are so much work!  My sister is 59, and a couple of years ago her family got a shih tzu puppy.  Housetraining was a lot of work, and the two year old is still quite the puppy!  She's adorable though.

If you really don't have anyone that you would trust to take your dog if something should happen and you and your husband can't care for him, I would advise adopting from a breed rescue group.  You can specify in your Will that the dog goes back to them if you become unable to care for the dog.  

You can usually go to akc.org and find the breed you're interested in.  Go to that club's website and find the contact information for the Rescue group.  It's a great way to adopt a dog.  They have been fostered in people's homes and they can help find a good fit for your lifestyle.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma ,  some labradoodles are all fluff and actually don't weigh that much.  Check into that before you shy away from size.  I know someone that has one and when she told me he only weighed 45 lbs I couldn't believe it...he looks bigger than my 70 lb lab.  Maybe try a day with the doggie at your house and a walk.  I would never let age stop me from living with a dog...if I were disabled, then I would have to consider if I can provide utmost care.   My parents just lost their 17 yr old toy poodle...my dad is 92, mom 90, and they still took great care of him.  My dad still walked him and would get up all hours of the night if Tango needed to go potty.  Mom did say she was having a hard time keeping up with house accidents, and feeding him since he became so irregular about everything....but they still wish they could have another doggie.  They feel the house is empty and too quiet,  but they both know they couldn't provide the full life a dog needs.  I hope you find the perfect doggie, you'll be so happy you did it😍

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma   I would not go from a tiny Maltese to a much larger dog.  Like @Kachina624 said, I wouldn't get a dog that I couldn't carry.  There are too many times that it might be necessary.  My dog weighs 25 lbs., and I wouldn't want one any bigger than that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma   In addition when you walk a larger dog on a leash and have diminished strength, it can easily pull you off your feet and run into traffic or a dangerous situation.  My dad was walking my mini Aussie when she decided she wanted to run the rest of the way home.  She pulled him over, bloodied his nose and broke his glasses.  Thankfully he was in my driveway.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment