Respected Contributor

Is it selfish to get a dog when you are a senior

I am almost 70 and lost my Pomeranian in August and I miss him every day.  I just cannot get over the pain.  I want to get another younger one to keep me busy but he may wind up in a shelter if I die before him.  I know people say adopt an older shelter dog but I have researched every place online and it is almost all big dogs.  My husband and I only have each other and our pets are our world even more so  during Covid.  I see seniors out walking their dogs and I know that without that dog they would probably never walk or even get out of bed. It is sad that the time in your life you have the time and attention and need for a dog you have to worry about the fact that you dont have the longevity.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Is it selfish to get a dog when you are a senior

[ Edited ]

Oh my dear, no it is not selfish, it is good for them ,and us, if you can walk them, spend time playing,it is all GOOD. I will be 69 in december, last month lost my baby spirit, having a tough time, i have a little red golden ,she is 9, i am wanting a pup in the spring.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Heck NO it's not selfish at any age to have a dog!!! @chiclet   You and your husband have so much more love to share not only with each other but so many doggies small, medium and large who need loving good homes.

Don't sell yourselves short, enojy more life & living with another one perfect size for you two and enjoy to the fullest!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Adopt a senior dog, they dont get chosen much because a lot of people want puppies or younger dogs.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

When my Jake passed 5 years ago.  I could not deal with the loss.  DH and I were I were in our mid 70s and got a brand new puppy.  We live in a condo so we must walk him.  We get so much joy from him.  I think they help to keep us young.  I say go for it.  Good luck!!

Respected Contributor

I say go for it. None us know when our time will be up. You need to have a little happy in your life.I'm a cat person and I don't know what I'd do without them. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't worry too much about the "what ifs."  If you enjoy having a dog and it makes you happy, go for it.  You may outlive the dog!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 76 and lost one of my two doxies 5 years ago.  DH and I had this very discussion at the time.  Normally I wait about a year before replacing a lost "child dog" but this time it was almost like something said "do it now" ( my grandson was there when we had to put down our. old,sick dog chilld, whom he especially loved) so we pulled the trigger.  We are all so glad we did!  Lucy was like a child to our remaining older dog, the grands and our adult son love her and she's meant the world to DH and me.  She actually had a severe allergic reaction when she was two ( survived and seems to know our love saved her).  We all love her so much!  Our dogs add a real dimension to our lives and I think we'll always have two until we can't take care of them.  If that ever happens I'll find them a loving home ( my son, if possible). I encourage you to go for it:  it's good for everybody involved, including the dog!

Valued Contributor

Pets bring so much joy and happiness to our lives, and it's said pet owners live longer, healthier lives. So there is no way that joy can be selfish!  

I have a neighbor who is single and in her 80's, she had a concern about getting a pet. I gave her my word that if there was a time that she couldn't give her fur baby the needs that it had, I would gladly step in. It put her mind at ease and that pup really added some pep to her step!

Trusted Contributor

omg no! and do it soon. just imagine all the love and happiness that's waiting to be given and received.