Honored Contributor

Why do cat litter companies insist putting Febreeze and Gain scents in litter😡

I use non-clumping litter by Fresh Step.  All the unscented versions are "clumping"...I've tried many other kinds my cat doesn't like them. (ugh)

I hate the perfume smell emitted when he uses litter box.  I'm allergic to chemicals and strong perfumes.

I've written and called to no avail.  I keep trying different kinds -- any suggestions?  He's a older cat and obviously doesn't like change but I hate he smells like Frebreeze☹️

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do cat litter companies insist putting Febreeze and Gain scents in litter😡

@homedecor1 

I also feel strongly about not using fragrance in cat litter.  Fragrance is an IRRITANT ....  all chemicals!

Through trial and error, I've finally come to mix cat litters.  I use approx 1/3 World's Best litter with 2/3 Vibrant Life crystals (sold at Walmart, which I have shipped to me).  That crystal litter is by far the best odor absorbing litter I've ever used. 

This mixture is only very slightly clumping., no scent whatsoever, and, if you care, it can be flushed down the toilet.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why do cat litter companies insist putting Febreeze and Gain scents in litter😡

@homedecor1  Not a fan of the fragrances either. We use Feline Pine. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

I've used Fresh Step NON clumping forever and I was very unhappy about the Febreze scent.  I was afraid my cats (16 yrs old) would reject using it but they were fine with it.

I don't find it to be that strong a scent.  Cats typically don't like "change" though -

you'd htink the company would know better and be more sensitive to that fact.

Good luck finding a replacement. 

Regular Contributor

I DOUBT THIose strong scents are good for the cats to breathe in. We have Persians and they already wheeze due to their bone structure. We use unscented Fresh Step. Now order online and have delivered directly.  Scented litter is not necessary if you clean the box every day like we do. Takes a coulple minutes. The strong scented litters scream you have a litter box. I have allergies and it makes me cough and sneeze.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I absolutely hate scented cat litters.  Cats don't like them either, according to experts.  I don't understand why companies make them.

I use unscented Tidy Cats clumping litter. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I can't stand the fragranced litters either.  

When I used the non-clumping litter, it was the original Tidy Cats formula which wasn't fragranced.  I was leery of changing litters because my older cat had used the Tidy Cats all his life and I just figured he wouldn't take to another type.  But I slowly added in the new litter over time and there was no problem with either cat.

If you search "unscented non-clumping cat litter" there are many choices.  Perhaps if you find one that you like and very slowly mix it in with what your cat now uses, he won't object--and eventually be accepting of the new litter exclusively.

Valued Contributor

I agree, I don't thhink cats like those scents eather.  It is up to us to keep the box clean.  I have to look around, but I do find the unscented.  Maybe Amazon or I see that Chewey company advertized.

Honored Contributor

@ginirn wrote:

I DOUBT THIose strong scents are good for the cats to breathe in. We have Persians and they already wheeze due to their bone structure. We use unscented Fresh Step. Now order online and have delivered directly.  Scented litter is not necessary if you clean the box every day like we do. Takes a coulple minutes. The strong scented litters scream you have a litter box. I have allergies and it makes me cough and sneeze.  

@ginirn I have a cat that has asthma, so no fragrances here either.  I use clumping, but those aren't the best either because of the dust.  Plus, those additives for odor are also highly fragranced.  For awhile I was adding baking soda to my litter, but that adds more dust.  I do have an air purifier running next to the litter box area.  Currently, I have found a spray I'm using.  It's supposed to have this wonderful odor eliminating technology; however, to me it's at least as good as the baking soda but I wouldn't say it's any better.  But, since it doesn't add dust that the baking soda does I'll keep using it.  

I have 3 boxes for 3 cats and I do clean them all daily, but they still stink without some sort of help.  

Respected Contributor

I agree and try to buy the regular clumping litter, usually Tidy Cats.  Cats noses are so sensitive, they don't need that stuff in their litter.