Honored Contributor

Re: How did you choose your pet's names?

@KingstonsMom wrote:

My Kingston is an abused rescue (he was found in the street after having been set on fire) and his original name by the rescue was Landon, IMO a boy's name that didn't suit him at all.

The rescue group that I adopted him through was named 'One Love Animal Rescue'.

'One Love' was a hit reggae song by Bob Marley, who was from Kingston, Jamaica and I thought it was more regal, fit him better and tied in with the name of his rescue group. 

Landon.2-1.jpg

@KingstonsMom He's an incredibly beautiful baby!!!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@PickyCindy   I had neighbors years ago who rescued a very neglected and abused dog.  They tried to keep his name, but he wouldn't respond to it, so they changed it.  He answered to his new name immediately.  Sometimes they want to forget where they have been and have a fresh start.

@PickyCindy wrote:

Only for a kitten do I name him/her.  For an older cat with a name already I just keep it.  After all he/she already knows his/her name and has enough on his/her plate to deal with in adapting to a new home.  Even though I'm not fond of my latest cat's name Winston I did keep it and am glad because he was so terrified of his new home at first but at least he answered me when I called out to him.  

Respected Contributor

We raised a couple ltters of puppies when I was a kid.  The mom was Samantha, named that by the breeder because she twitched her nose.  First litter was three puppies.  There was a big boy, a little girl we called Tabatha, because she was Samantha's daughter, and the other one.  We sold Big Boy early on, but kept Tabatha and Other One.  And yes, that's what we called him from the start.  Other One.  He was a sweetheart!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH is an avid golfer so we used a golf theme for our dogs: 

Putter

Bogey

Birdie

We used to have a cat named Shaquille my son after his favorite basketball player.

Honored Contributor

SRe: How did you choose your pet's names?

[ Edited ]

20190519_224909.jpgOur Love Nugget was named "Shadow Cove".  We liked the name "Shadow" then with his coat he became difficult to see!  We also live in a mountain cove.  I thought "If that's where he will grow and live it would make a name that gives him belonging.".Smiley Happy

The title here is "Please Don't Put Me To Bed!!!".  "If I hide here I'm safe!!!".

Honored Contributor

Can’t answer as one of my kitties is not long for this world. 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  I’m sorry your Kitty is sick,whatever it’s name is I’m sure it’s perfect! Take care and pet it for me!

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I’m sorry your Kitty is sick,whatever it’s name is I’m sure it’s perfect! Take care and pet it for me!

@1Snickers.  Thank you so much. I am devistated. She is 16 years old. Thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   I understand, my older Jack Russell is 15, and my best friend. I’m hearing disabled and he has been my ears.

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ   I understand, my older Jack Russell is 15, and my best friend. I’m hearing disabled and he has been my ears.

@1Snickers @I am so sorry for you. It's just so hard isn't it? I just don't know what to do, it makes me so sad.