Valued Contributor

I ran to the grocery store the other day. Got everything put away and thought it was strange that my cat didn't come to check out all the bags like usual. Then, about an hour later, I still hadn't seen her which isn't all that unusual but when I call her, she will poke her little head through the railing to show me that she heard me. (She likes to hang out in my upstairs bathroom). Started caling and she wouldn't come down the stairs. Then I thought I had maybe locked her in a closet by accident. Looked everywhere I could think of and finally found her in my upstairs vanity. She was still there the next day when I got home from work. Finally coaxed her out and she did come downstairs but was spooked by any kind of noise for a bit and then she was fine and has been all week. Don't know if something scared her, or if she scared herself.

cookin

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak   I would watch her closely.  She might be sick.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

It sounds like something did scare her.  I have a cat that is afraid of her own shadow.  We should have named her chickn.   She's more bold at night and I cannot understand why.  

Valued Contributor

@NickNack 

That was my first thought. But she is eating, drinking and flying around like her normal self the last 5 days, so I think it was more she got scared by something.

cookin

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak  I would say she's been scared by something.  I have a cat that gets scared when I raise my voice.  We got him from our Pastor and they didn't yell a lot.  He was used to a quiet home.  Was there a storm during the time you were away?  I find it hard to believe he got sick in just the little bit of time you were away.  Something definately happened while you were gone.  Do you have other pets in the house?  Maybe someone tried to break in your home?

Honored Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

It sounds like something did scare her.  I have a cat that is afraid of her own shadow.  We should have named her chickn.   She's more bold at night and I cannot understand why.  

@liliblu 

We ended up bottle feeding to kittens the mama cat left in a shed next door after she had them? To make a long story short we named one of them Shadow before finding them homes since he was always chasing his shadow.

Valued Contributor

I had a cat who did that a few years ago. When she finally came out I noticed her tail was bent anout half way down. Turned out she injured herself (or more likely, was injured by my other cat) and was hiding to protect herself. The vet said no fracture but her tail remained bent!

Esteemed Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

@liliblu, it is very possible that your cat has vision problems (particularly with her peripheral vision) and she can see movement (shadows) during the day but not identify what is moving.   Night would eliminate or at least greatly minimize shadows so she doesn't detect unidentified movement..

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

A car could have backfired, or someone could have set off fireworks while you were gone.

Maybe she saw anoher cat outside while you were away, and that scared her.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

Was anything missing in your home?  No sign of a break-in or attempted break-in?

My cat never liked it when someone new was in the house - like a repairman, etc.