Honored Contributor

Re: How did you choose your pet's names?

Oh, such fun names & great ideas!!!

I have had the name "Ebony" picked out for years for a black cat I am always hoping to adopt. Fate turns out they are never black but someday maybe.

I rescue whoever needs me - no matter what the color.

Occasional Contributor

He is a beauty and looks so sweet!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

in 1993 Sesame Street had a character debut- Elmo's sister named Zoe. I thought that was a silly sounding name and never heard of it before. I said if I ever get a female pet, she would be named Zoe.

15 years later 2008 - Zoe the cat walked into my life. My niece who was a tween at the time thought I named her after Zoey - a Disney character played by Britney Spears sister.

Bite your tongue - I would never named her after that show - pleeease I have standards. Seasame Street rules. Of course - now there are Zoes or Zoeys all over the place. 

That is her in my profile pic

Super Contributor

Only for a kitten do I name him/her.  For an older cat with a name already I just keep it.  After all he/she already knows his/her name and has enough on his/her plate to deal with in adapting to a new home.  Even though I'm not fond of my latest cat's name Winston I did keep it and am glad because he was so terrified of his new home at first but at least he answered me when I called out to him.  

Honored Contributor

My  "house" cat's shelter name was "Bubbles.

After I discovered he was killing & eating doves, leaving my patio & living room a bloody mess along w/feather trails leading from patio to my living room front door.  That is when I changed his name to Killa as well as putting a bell on his collar.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I've had lots of cats over the years.  I had a Fabio (called him Bo).  He was my late husband's cat.  We always say there are more pictures of my husband with the cat than me with my husband.  Fabio just showed up at my back porch one day and wouldn't leave.  I thought he was a girl and gave him a name which I can't remember.  Then one day I was bending down to feed him and saw the biggest set of .....you ever saw.  So I had him neutered, his tooth pulled (it was broken) and he became an indoor/sorta cat.

I've had a Penelope (Penny), Cleopatra (Cleo), Annabelle (Annie) Jackson (Jack) and now Bill and Katie.

Bill was named after my late husband.  I wanted to be able to say his name and have a response.  I've always loved cats and couldn't think of a better way of calling his name and having my beloved Bill (my cat) respond.  Bill the cat is amazing!  He is like a dog and a cat.  He sits on my chest (right under my neck) and gives me so much love.  Wherever I am, you'll find Bill nearby.  He follows me everywhere.  People who don't like cats, love Bill.  He's affectionate and is a very people kind of cat.

My other cat now is Katie (after my youngest daughter).  When she visits from Denver, she goes crazy because I'm yelling for Katie and she answers.  Ha!  But Katie the cat is afraid of everything and everyone.  She's hidden from everyone.  None of my family has ever even seen her....at all.  I've never been able to even pick her up.....after 7 or more years...never.  I have to trick her to get her in the cage for her checkups.  She vomits constantly.  Nothing wrong with her, she just vomits.  My best friend is a nurse for my Vet and she's been checked and nothing wrong...just sensitive stomach (long haired).

So, now you know.  Ha!  If you're still awake (after reading this boring post).  I salute you.  I typed it and I think I almost fell asleep after the first paragraph.  Ha!

Annabelle I love that you named your cat Bill after your late husband. You gave me an idea - I'm going to get a pet rat and name him after my husband.

Honored Contributor

@Luvtuna"I'm going to get a pet rat and name him after my husband."

283917.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Frequent Contributor

I like this thread...thank you for starting it.

I have 8 rescue cats. I only kept the name they were for 2 of them. They were older cats one 15 and the other 18. Both still with me. Jordan and Kenny.

One friend named one of my rescues Buddy, because we adopted him to play with Kenny. Kenny was raised with a puppy and the rest of cats did not understand how Kenny played. So we figured if we adopted a kitten then Kenny could teach him. They are inseparable, If one is n't feeling well the other takes care of him,

Another of my cats (I can't remember the name they gave her originally), all I know she did not come when i called her. One day I sat down with her and looked her in the eye and asked her what her name was. The name Allie came to my mind.. I start calling her Allie and she comes a running every time.

Ninja was named Ninja because of how she acted. She had no fear. She was the only kitty that walked across the curtain rod for my sliding glass door turned around and the thin rod and walked back.

My latest rescue a 12 year old Himalayan is named Mia. because after I saw her my heart melted and told her she was mine. Mia is mine in Italian, or beloved in Danish. She was found with only patches of fur; fleas, and malnourished. She was put in isolation a couple of time and started to pull out what fur she had left. When i was able to adopt her she weighted only 6 pounds. She is recovering nicely and weighs 10 lab and the fur is slowing growing back.

Ashes was named because he is gray as ash. I had another gray kitty and his name was thunder cloud.

Silver Bells (Bells) was because she is a grey striped and we adopted around Christmas time

Honored Contributor

I'm enjoying this topic.    I like girl names for girl pets - Maggie, Abby.   My last female dog was Kizzi.    She was a rescue but I couldn't pronounce her name.   To me, the name sounded like Kenseth, but that wasn't it, so I just called her Kizzi.

When the kids were young, we had a black lab they named Pitch, because he was pitch black.

I have an old cat we call Gracie.   Late DH named her Greystone but that wasn't girly enough for me.

We had a lab named Chopper, DH used to ride.

We've had a yellow tabby named Nacho

DD has a solid gray cat she calls Smoke.

Growing up, I had a little mixed dog with markings like a GSD, her name was Cinnamon.

Trusted Contributor

I named my little puppy cocker spaniel “Angel” because I got her for Christmas.  She was a wonderful companion for 15 years.  Now she is an angel in heaven.