Honored Contributor

Re: HELP-------Dog with Senstive Skin and Scratching---Ideas????

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

It sounds like your dog is being tramatized enough now with this that she has going on. Just think, if she had been under the vets care she probably would have been healed already. Please call the vet. Woman Happy Good luck

I agree. Take the dog to the vet now to avoid more trauma. Treating based on a best guess or what someone on a web forum says can lead to more suffering if you get it wrong and cause the situation to go on longer than necessary,

Respected Contributor

@gtx wrote:

My pomeranian had terrible itching, red spots, etc. I tried several things but finally gave him a bath in Dawn Dishwashing liquid and the problem went away. I continue to bathe him in Dawn and he continues to be free of the itching. He is a white dog with pink skin.

Dawn!  That stuff is amazing, isn't it?  I was just reading the other day, DAWN KILLS FLEAS!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let me relay what my experience has been with my dog, only for the purpose of your discussing with your own vet.  I am not advising you what to do.

My dog began obsessively licking his paws as well as scratching about his neck and ears.  After checking him out, the vet said he had either seasonal or food allergies.  She recommended I start him on a Royal Canin diet.  Of course, she sells the very expensive product.  After questioning her more about food allergies and researching the subject myself, I decided to go the less expensive route by going grain-free and eliminating beef and chicken.  My dog eats a mixture of Blue Basics kibble (Duck and Potato) and Blue Basics wet food (Lamb).  For treats, he gets Halo peanut butter/sweet potato biscuits.  Those smell so good, I would eat them!  These are all "Limited Ingredients" foods.  I also give my dog coconut oil massages to keep his skin moist and coat shiny.  We all know the numerous benefits of coconut oil.  He loves his massage time and even licks my fingers when I'm finished.

So far, so good.  The licking and scratching have stopped.  Of course, it's now spring, so I don't know which it is -- seasonal or food.  It doesn't matter, though.  He enjoys his food, so we'll keep it that way.  :-)

Please talk to your vet.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and sharing what works for your dogs. I do feed our dogs organic dog treats and grain free dog food. I did talk to our vet and she feels that the allergy season is starting early this year.  Our female is more sensitive to grass  than our male. They got another bath and I used puppy shampoo on her. It looks improved. I'm trying to keep the skin moisutrized with a drop or two of Skin so soft or/and mint oil and that seems to be helping. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Fressa wrote:

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and sharing what works for your dogs. I do feed our dogs organic dog treats and grain free dog food. I did talk to our vet and she feels that the allergy season is starting early this year.  Our female is more sensitive to grass  than our male. They got another bath and I used puppy shampoo on her. It looks improved. I'm trying to keep the skin moisutrized with a drop or two of Skin so soft or/and mint oil and that seems to be helping. 

Has she mentioned giving the dog Benadryl to help?  My vets all recommend it for various issues.  I would ask your vet about it.  There's also a product out there called Dermapaw (you can do a search) and it's supposed to be for these types of skin issues, and isn't harmful if the pet licks it.

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

What about allergy testing?  There are meds the vet can prescribe to alleviate itching and scratching.  Our vet prescribed Apoquel for our pup, she's on it 2x/day - forever, but it has really improved her scratching, I know she was miserable before we found treatment.

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

If your Vet feels it's allergies, she should prescribe something for it like Benadryl.  Don't just give it to your dog on your own though.  You would need to know the correct dosage.  It seems like your Vet would want to look at the bald spot and help keep your dog from being so miserable.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau