Esteemed Contributor

My Mom passed last year at 90.  Her Westie was getting up there in years and we wondered who would pass first.  When my Mom was in and out of the hospital, my sister took care of the dog at her house.  When we put my Mom in assisted living, she could have had the dog there, but we would have had to hire someone to take her on walks, so my sister kept her.  About a month after our Mom died, my sister had her dog put down.  The dog had some issues, but frankly, I did not think she was at that point yet.  She did not discuss it with me, she just did it.  I was a bit upset about it, but what was done was done, so I did not make a fuss about it.  My sister has her own dog and they got a long fine.

My aunt, who is at least in her mid 80's just got a huge dog as a puppy.  Forget the breed.  But her son lives with her, so he can take care of her.

Anyway, to the OP, good luck with your pup and enjoy her.  Dogs are great companions and I would be lost without mine.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

I also am "older". I have 2 Chesapeake Bay Retrievers now. Long story why I ended up with 2 pups at the same time ! Chessies have ATTITUDE ! A Golden should not be any way near the difficulty a Chessie can be. You have had them before and know what you have in store. I say enjoy them, have fun and enjoy that fun ! Dogs keep you moving and that is always a great thing. I will be watching for your posts. Can't wait to hear what you name the new pup.

By the way I have had retrievers for 0ver 40+ years...even a Golden once ! But mostly have had Chessies....guess I am a glutton for punishment !!

Honored Contributor

@Vivian 

Praying Dog.jpg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@KingstonsMom I still like the story of Kingston going camping with your DH!

@Love my grandkids 

They recently had a week long camping/geocaching trip and they were both in heaven!

DH is going through some painful and concerning surgery and radiation for skin cancer, and it really brightened him up to bond with Kingston for a whole week!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

That's so sad......so sorry for your loss, both of them.

sad-face-with-tears-smiley-emoticon.gif

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom Sending best wishes and good thoughts to your dear husband and wish him well. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest    I would never buy a puppy at 70.  I would just adopt an adult dog... or  even a senior pup. Overall a better fit for someone who  needs a dog that is already done with puppy-ness...  or a senior dog that may only have a number of years left  but that would appriciate those years with you.

Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Will be 70 in december, not as quick as i once was,   picking him up this coming sunday, getting nervous,  excited also, any one got a pup at my age?

No age is just a number just  get ready for lots of wet kisses,and unconditional love .

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@goldensrbest One thought:  Do you have someone to take care of it in case you are ill, need to be out of town, go in the hospital, etc.?

No ,not really, i also have a 10 yr.old golden.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@chessielady 

Lived on the Eastern Shore of MD for a while, Love Chessies!

I’m a Lab Mom myself. 💙

@goldensrbest 

Congrats on the new pup.  

My Dad is 95 and has a written agreement of adoption for his dog.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras