Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest  I was in my 70's when my Chloe passed away.  And yes, I did get another dog, although not a puppy.  Rescue beagle age unknown but 10ish and he is the perfect fit for me.  Good luck to you and the lucky pup.  I bet you'll both do just fine.

Valued Contributor

My parents, who are in their mid 70's,  recently got a new puppy. I wasn't happy about it at all!!!  I "just knew" they would regret it. Boy was I wrong (and I'm glad). This pup has put a spark back in their life as the pandemic and isolation had really taken its toll on them.

They absolutely love this little pup and talk/laugh about her all the time. It is wonderful to see them happy again! Yes, they say it is a lot of work and she does have accidents (still working on the potty training), but I wouldn't trade the joy she is giving them for the world!! 

My best of luck to you and your "new baby". I hope he/she gives you as much love and happiness as my parents have with their "new baby". :-) 

Super Contributor

@Drythe  Yes Chessies are terrific dogs...just not for everyone ! A good Lab is also a joy!

Some one once told me...you suggest to a Golden, give a command to a Lab.and negotiate with a Chesssie !

I did not know until recently that there are quite a few Chessies in England. Seems the word has spread!

Valued Contributor

I did it and it's great.  Two border aussies; one in 2019 & one in 2020.  (Both were 8 weeks old  when I got them).  They keep me going.  They're the light of my life (along with my 6 cats).  I'll be 72 in January.

Honored Contributor

@Magicrat wrote:

I did it and it's great.  Two border aussies; one in 2019 & one in 2020.  (Both were 8 weeks old  when I got them).  They keep me going.  They're the light of my life (along with my 6 cats).  I'll be 72 in January.

Thank you.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Getting a pup, at 70

[ Edited ]

@chessielady wrote:

@Drythe  Yes Chessies are terrific dogs...just not for everyone ! A good Lab is also a joy!

Some one once told me...you suggest to a Golden, give a command to a Lab.and negotiate with a Chesssie !

I did not know until recently that there are quite a few Chessies in England. Seems the word has spread!

@chessielady 

That’s a good one.

I had one Lab love who could read my mind!  Honestly.

I have seen lots of Labs in England, they literally saved the breed through WWII.  But, have not seen a Chessie - will have to keep my eyes open next time.  All credit to them, I have never seen a stray dog or cat there.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting a pup, at 70

[ Edited ]

I got my current dog Trixie as a puppy two years ago when I was 72.  I gave it serious thought, I didn't know if I was doing the responsible thing, but I desperately wanted one more puppy in my life.  The last time I raised a puppy I was in my early thirties, after that I adopted adult rescue dogs.

I'm so glad I decided to get a puppy, I think we sometimes just make too many decisions based on age.  We have to live our lives and do things that we truly want to do sometimes, and just forget our age.

I know she'll be my last pup, but I've enjoyed her so much.  I feel I have to stay alive to take care of her.  But I do have backup should I need help.

Esteemed Contributor

@chessielady wrote:

@chessielady I would add to that ..... you lose the argument with a Husky, LOL.  Huskies have a lot of energy and a lot of personality.  I think they all come with a crazy gene!  We are on our second Husky mix and I just adore her.  She keeps me moving!  We were strolling our quaint little town on Saturday night and came upon the cutest Husky puppy a woman had.  Of course I had to pet her - her name is Willow.  They are training her to be a guide dog.  All I could think was, "good luck with that."  I have never seen a Husky guide dog, not that it is not possible.  I just think that kind of discipline does not come as easily to a Husky.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

@Puppy Lips  Agree about a Husky as a guide dog ! As long as you wanted to go where the Husky wanted to go all would be well ! A husky can be a great dog as long as you understand a Husky mind set...I  think a Husky does what a Husky wants with not too much regard for the other end of the leash !  Enjoy your pup !!

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest My mother got a west highland terrier at 73 and they were inseperable for years.  Due to health issues He came to live with me and my husband after she fell and broke her arm and leg the same night due to severe heart issues.  I sat with my mother every day and Toby would accompany me to see his "momma" everyday.  My mom died in Jan of 2016 and I lost Toby July 4, 2021 of this year.  I know they are now together and they are playing ball and I am sure if he could speak, he would say ...

May you always have love to share and health to spare!