Honored Contributor

Frankie's Crate Rest Situation

[ Edited ]

Since Frankie was diagnosed with progressive disc disease and prescribed crate rest, prednisone, muscle relaxers and gabapentin for pain, I had to set up something.

Yesterday I used her crate and had a very hard time getting her out of it without her stumbling.  I knew that was going to be too hard and not good for her.  I joined a Facebook group about Invertebral Disc Disease, which is what she has.  Many of the people in that group use x-pens. i I set up an old x-pen that I had this morning.  I have two of her beds in there.  One is an orthopedic bed.  I had towels rolled up on the sides, but she kept climbing on them and stumbling, so I put the orthopedic bed in there.

Update:  We are no longer sure Frankie has a disc disease.  She has had one seizure that I know for sure and possibly a second seizure when she howled loudly one night.  She became blind during the seizure the other night.  I took her to the ER and she's now on prednisone for inflammation in the brain and Keppra (for seizures).  She will have an MRI at the Vet School on Monday, April 27th to determine what is wrong with her.  When I took her to the ER they did some tests to check for other things.  Their tests will be back next week.  I started another thread about this called "What do you do when your dog suddenly becomes blind?"

E0172466-BD78-4C2E-8FD3-34F7EC78BD42.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: Frankie's Crate Rest Situation

@NickNack First- I am so sorry that Frankie is not well.  You are a very good dog mom for all the care you're giving.

I've had two "experiences" with gabapentin that were questionable.  One with my current dog, the other with my mother. 

The drug itself can cause staggering and falling.  My mother had very fragile bones and was on dialysis.  She was unable to even sit for a treatment her pain was so bad.  They prescribed gabapentin.  Wasn't the correct drug, she was staggering like she had been drinking and we were very concerned about her falling. 

My current dog was prescribed gabapentin when he started showing signs of liver issues  after taking rimadyl- again he could hardly get up on his hind quarters, was panting, terrible experience. 

Please be sure one of Frankies issues isn't the medication.  I know it's a wonder drug for some and I"m told that the "staggering" side effect will pass.  I've not been able to get past the first few days to see if that is the case. I wish you both the very best.  Hopefully this will be somthing that you can regulate and get back to more normalcy. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your input @Jtdmum .  The gabapentin was completely out of her system and she was still staggering.  The Vet did a complete neurological exam and she failed it.  She is very painful in her neck.  She was put back on the gabapentin for pain.  

My father had a bad reaction to gabapentin, too, and fell several times and ended up in the hospital.  My Vet said that the side effects like that are common in people and uncommon in dogs.  I know they do exist in dogs but am certain that's not Frankie's problem.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack good to know!  When it works it's apparently a wonder drug.  When it doesn't- yikes. 

Very best to you and Frankie.  She is lucky she is in good hands!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Her cute little face just melts my heart!Heart

I'm glad you were able to find a better option for her than her crate!

The things we do for LOVE!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack 

Her cute little face just melts my heart!Heart

I'm glad you were able to find a better option for her than her crate!

The things we do for LOVE!

@KingstonsMom   Thank you.  Yes, I would do anything for her as I know you would do for Kingston.

I updated the initial picture of her x-pen situation.  I had put rolled up towels on the side, but she kept climbing on them and tripping.  I put an orthopedic bed on the side instead.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Looks like a perfect fit with the ortho bed on the side!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  My Krypto, Jack Russell was diagnosed with the same back problems about seven years ago. He had an MRI, and it was a very good Dr. that said the same thing as your vet. 
  He couldn't do steps, walking except for potty, etc. 

gradually he added more and when we went for the re-check he was told to use the gabapentin as needed.

He is now 16 !  He walks several times daily for a few miles. I keep the gabapentin on hand in case he shows signs of limping, etc. But he usually only needs a pill or two and short walks. 
    His legs will slip on hardwood or tile, so I'm careful with that. 
    I hope Frankies better soon with the rest!

Honored Contributor

That is so encouraging to hear @1Snickers !  Thanks for letting me know.  I'm so glad Krypto has done so well.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Dear @NickNack 

I send you my best for Frankie's health, and hope she will be more comfortable soon.  I hope, too, that you are doing whatever you need for yourself to stay healthy and positive.  I suspect that you are.

My first dog, a Papillon, was on restricted movement for several weeks.  It was also from a disk issue, but not identical.  One of her spinal disks ruptured.  Luckily, the surgeon was able to fix it and she recovered fully, but we did go through a similar period of restricted movement, including carrying her outside to potty (besides placing pads in the closed-off area where she had her bed and dishes).

We are thinking of you and Frankie.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.