Honored Contributor

He may really need to have them cleaned.  There might be teeth that need to be pulled or are abscessed if they've been so neglected.  Having teeth cleaned is important to heart health, too.  $700 is about what my Vet would charge, too. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

He may really need to have them cleaned.  There might be teeth that need to be pulled or are abscessed if they've been so neglected.  Having teeth cleaned is important to heart health, too.  $700 is about what my Vet would charge, too. 

I really don't think that he has any abscesses. When we do actually brush his teeth, he does not act like he is uncomfortable. I just feel bad because in the front you end up brushing gums.

And it was one particular Vet who was pushing for a teeth cleaning. The dog has seen at least 6 Vets since then.  And 1 Vet was talking about him being in a cage and that is probably what damaged his teeth. And another said next visit I want to do another check on his teeth and the next visit said she was pleased how they looked.

I want to make sure we keep on top of keeping the teeth clean. It is easier to make sure they stay clean rather than trying to clean the teeth after they get in trouble.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

I really don't think that he has any abscesses. When we do actually brush his teeth, he does not act like he is uncomfortable. I just feel bad because in the front you end up brushing gums.

And it was one particular Vet who was pushing for a teeth cleaning. The dog has seen at least 6 Vets since then.  And 1 Vet was talking about him being in a cage and that is probably what damaged his teeth. And another said next visit I want to do another check on his teeth and the next visit said she was pleased how they looked.

I want to make sure we keep on top of keeping the teeth clean. It is easier to make sure they stay clean rather than trying to clean the teeth after they get in trouble.

That's good.  I thought possibly they said he needed them cleaned when you got him, but there were so many other things that needed to be done first that you hadn't done it.  I understand now.  I wish I knew of a soft dental treat, but I don't.  I use Greenies, and they would not be soft enough.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: Dog Dental Treats

[ Edited ]

If his teeth are that bad  they should be removed. He is most likey in pain and you do not know it. Teeth that bad he will not be able to bite down on the treats. Soft food is all he can eat.  I hope you get those bad teeth removed  for the dogs sake. I am sad that he was previously abused  by others.  I would  give him soft treats for now.  Those dental treats are meant for healthy teeth  to help prevent future issues I believe

Respected Contributor

I had a rescue dog that had teeth issues. I wanted to avoid the cleanings due to other issues she was having.  The vet trained me how to brush the teeth and told me I had to do it once a day. She told me it was more important to massage the paste on her teeth and gums. She told me she had many patients that thought it was the physical action of brushing like with peoples teeth.

I did commit to the teeth massaging every day before her meal. This made her associate it with eating which made her come running for it. I was late getting home and she tried to self treat herself with the paste and I had quite a mess to clean up. There was an oral care spray that was added in the morning. This went on for a month.

I was nervous when we went back to the vet because it did not seem a lot better to me. Well the vet was impressed. She took a bounty paper towel and wet it. Then she was able to massage the teeth and tartar was coming off her teeth. The products had loosened a good amount of tartar.

We left the vets with instructions to continue and maybe massage the teeth twice a day. We ended up not having to have the cleaning.

I would talk with the vet you feel comfortable with to see if these optins would help. You may be right that the teeth are damaged to the point it may not be the best route. I think your vet should be able to help you make decisions that keep you from spending a lot trying so many different things.

Best wishes to you and your dog.

doxie

Honored Contributor

@quilter61 wrote:

My vet recommeded a good chew, OraVet.   They come in different sizes depending upon the dogs weight.   They are completly digestible.  I usually buy them directly from my vet, but I noticed that Chewy has started carrying them.   I have three dogs and they love them.   

My rescue won't let me brush her teeth.  I give her OraVet in the appropriate size.  She loves them and eats them right away.  She doesn't like really hard dental treats or hard toys.  She does like raw broccoli or carrots.