Esteemed Contributor

Do you give your cat milk occasionally?

Winky loves a little bit of milk and will cry for some when she hears someone pouring themselves a glass. 

It doesn't cause her any stomach issues, but I was wondering if it is a good idea... I only give her a tablespoon about once a week....

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you give your cat milk occasionally?

They have a milk like product for cats.  I have never given milk to my cats since milk isn't good for them.  It won't hurt them in the long run but their digestive systems are not able to digest mild properly.

Honored Contributor

Never

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@Pook wrote:

They have a milk like product for cats.  I have never given milk to my cats since milk isn't good for them.  It won't hurt them in the long run but their digestive systems are not able to digest mild properly.

I have seen the faux milk in the pet store - cannot remember which one.  I wonder about cheese ... ask the Vet about that.

Valued Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Winky loves a little bit of milk and will cry for some when she hears someone pouring themselves a glass. 

It doesn't cause her any stomach issues, but I was wondering if it is a good idea... I only give her a tablespoon about once a week....

Please believe, I speak from personal experience about feeding our cats and milk, left over milk from cereal or melted plain vanilla ice cream. PLEASE, don't do it! 

We had "the perfect cat" that was given to us by a friend as a kitten from their farm. She was so good, meaning no behavior problems with scratching the wrong things, eating plastic or cardboard (which I've learned is quite common), no hissing, nothing. She was so loving and quite the companion. If one of us were sick, down in the dumps, etc., she would lay on our chest and literally pet our checks or necks as if to say~I'm here, I'll stay with you and help you feel better. 

Unfortunately, at the time I was a born and bred dog person. I didn't know much about cats except to stay clear of chocolate and keep their litter boxes pristine. I was a young busy mom and worked as a nurse all sorts of crazy shifts when DH was home. 

So we gave her a little milk here and there, whole milk. My children were tweens at the time and the thinking back then was whole milk. Then if the kids had ice cream or cereal, they would sneak a bit from the bottom of the bowl. 

The result of these "treats" was diabetes. Our little feline angel developed diabetes! She became a bit lethargic, had a few accidents, even though she tried to make it to her box. And, began to have problems jumping on the beds or the sofas. With help from the vet, giving her insulin twice a day for about 5-6 years and, a drastic change in her diet. She had another 7 years with us. My kids, my parents, my best friend all knew how to give her, her injections & other medicines. 

But when we finally had to put her down, and I was heartbroken and felt guilty for letting her have all those treats. 

That's my story, not everyone's. But, the vet did say he wished more people know the dietary restrictions that were unique to cats. 

Honored Contributor

I used to think that milk was the thing for cats.  But I found out the hard way that this is not so.  I gave some to my cat and she got horribly sick.  I took her to the vet and found out that I shouldn't do this.  Maybe it does not bother some, but it did her.  From then on, it was stritcly water.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Absolutely not, my one cat that has actually drank milk against my choice ( I had my back turned and he drank out of glass) threw it back up within 5 minutes. No milk for cats at my house. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

NEVER ..... it's not good for them, so why would you do it?

Honored Contributor

Yes, I give my cat skim milk.  He grew up with only water.  He's on pills for his thyroid and is old, soon to be 19.  He's lost weight over the years because of his thyroid and sometimes doesn't eat well.  One day when he wasn't eating, I tried a little milk and he loved it.  I asked the vet about it and he said it was fine.  He said to watch the litter box to make sure he didn't get diarrhea from it.  He's hasn't.  I put a little on a saucer every morning. 

Honored Contributor

I have not had a cat for years, but as a child. I had one who lived 14 years.  Things were different back then and we never gave our cat water.... Only milk... Every day.

We thought that cats were supposed to drink milk and that is what mine drank.  I would not do that today.  Apparently, milk is not a death sentence for some cats.