Honored Contributor

With golden retrievers it is genetic.  They have such a high rate of cancer.  You did everything right with the food.  I don't think there's anything you could have done differently.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

The Morris Foundation is doing a multi-year study on cancer and

dogs.  They started with 3000 Goldens in the trials.  

It is is very interesting reading.  I follow it closely as Labradors and Goldens have so much in common.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@goldensrbest 

The Morris Foundation is doing a multi-year study on cancer and

dogs.  They started with 3000 Goldens in the trials.  

It is is very interesting reading.  I follow it closely as Labradors and Goldens have so much in common.

They are a great foundation.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

My yard never gets sprayed, do not think grass is imporatant as my dogs, just heart breaking, and you just don't know they have cancer in many cases,until too late.

Honored Contributor

I have been told for years that larger breed dogs are predisposed to cancers.

I am a boxer mom and have been for a little over 30 years.  That is another breed that is riddled with cancer and other various illnesses and diseases.  My vet always told me if there is an oddball illness out there, a boxer will get it. 

We have had 7 boxers that have passed away and with the exception of 1 of them, they all died from cancer of some kind.  One died the day before her third birthday.     

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  So sorry, 3 is just too young for a dog to get cancer.

Respected Contributor

Like people, animals get a lot of the same diseases-diabetes, cancer, thyroid, kidney and more I'm sure. Who's to say what the cause is, genetic, environmental, etc. 

Super Contributor

@Lipstickdiva @I am also a boxer mom for for the last 40 years. I have rescued for most of the years and have given them the best veterinary care I could find. When I have lost one, the pain is so great I say never again. Then I see one at animal control and I go get it. This will probably have to stop because I am getting older. I think breeding without adequate testing, dog food that is over processed, and the environment all contribute. All I know is it sure does break our hearts. 

Honored Contributor

Re: CANCER , in our dogs

[ Edited ]

One of my dogs died from cancer.  The first thing her oncologist said was to stop all vaccines, including rabies.  She is positive over-vaccinations are the major cause since cancer in dogs has been increasing.

She never mentioned food was a cause. 

Being positive over-vaccinations are the cause doesn't prove it to the veterinary community, so she and her team are doing research.  

She graduated from Harvard and University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Schools.  No dummy, for sure.  

While I was there for my dog's treatment over a period of 3 months, then monthly followups, most of the dogs that came in were Golden Retrievers.  Then Labs.  So, it appears there's an inherited tendency to get cancer, but it's a tendency, not a sure thing.  Similar to smokers who get cancer vs those who don't.  

From my years of experience with vets, I found them to be vaccination happy.  It's how they stay in business.  So, it's up to us as owners to stop this insanity that's killing our dogs.   

Honored Contributor

Who knows how and why our pets get cancers like we humans do. It's as heartbreaking with them as it is with us. 

I do not know why but both of our Airedales got (different) cancers, both died from their cancers. It's been years ago for both but I still think of Ozzie and Clementine often, still miss them tons.