Honored Contributor

As many know   spirit died last sept.1st, i have always fed my dogs for years the best food i could afford, with fresh added to it,protein,veggies,fruit, i know some of the cancer our babies get is genetic, for sure, what are your thoughts on this?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I think it is partly environmental.They are exposed to chemicals sprays and treatments used for prevention of weeds and insects.The food is often genetically modified and the changes could be difficult for their digestion.We also have better access to good veterinarian care so more diagnostics.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest 

I would surley like to know too ,as I very SUDDENLY,lost my beloved Cozi,Oct.3rd.

He never showed one sign of anything wrong.Was NEVER sick.He ate very well everyday.Slept well.No throwing up,no bowel problems,nothing at all.Playfull,still loving to go outside to see  his friends,ect.

One morning I found him listless(as vet called it) in the kitchen and not in bed with me.Off to the vet,who took xrays,sonagrams,ect and showed me he was full of cancer and nothing can be done! Instantly he was gone!

How can that be???? I would sure as "H" love to know.Where,how,what caused it!!!!! Why no symptoms???

People tell me animals don't show their health problems because in the wild they get attacked.I understand that ,but  Cozi,was not in the wild...he was my very soul...

"FULL of CANCER????? I will never understand it

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

I think it is partly environmental.They are exposed to chemicals sprays and treatments used for prevention of weeds and insects.The food is often genetically modified and the changes could be difficult for their digestion.We also have better access to good veterinarian care so more diagnostics.

I agree with you, @dex .  Some lawns are treated with a lot of chemicals, and pets are right down close to it.   I'm sure parks and grassy areas next to sidewalks are chemically treated, too.

Honored Contributor

Re: CANCER , in our dogs

[ Edited ]

Some cancer seems to be genetic.  Some breeds are predisposed to getting cancer.  Our environment is not  helpful.  There are a lot of chemicals out there and then there are a lot of chemicals that are prescribed for dogs...like heart worm and tick preventions....these are poisons!

Also we are told to vaccinate our pets over and over again instead of checking for titers to see if they still have immunity.

Dog food might contain some cancer producing ingredients, but there our people who only serve home prepared dog food and dogs are still getting sick.

I think we can be careful as best we can to keep our pets safe and healthy and like people, they can get sick anyway, in spite of our best efforts.

Trusted Contributor

I think it is mainly genetic, especially with golden retrievers.  The breed has become too inbred.  They are lovely, beautiful dogs, but my heart sinks when I see someone with a new golden puppy, knowing the heartbreak that inevitably follows.  I know the day comes for all pets, but the 60% cancer rate in that breed tells me something isn't right. 

Honored Contributor

Re: CANCER , in our dogs

[ Edited ]

I don't use chemicals inside my house. Everything I use to clean is natural and 'clean'. I don't treat my yard with anything either...it's all weeds anyway...lol! 

My 13yo golden's diet includes regular dry food plus I give her organic fruits and veggies, an occasional egg and sometimes a small dollop of Greek yogurt. She only gets one supp, Cosequin. My golden comes from a line of long-living goldens. My last two lived to be 14 and the other 15.

My breeder goes on world-wide hunting trips to search for genetic material (sperm) to incorporate it into her line. She strives to maintain genetic diversity.

Esteemed Contributor

My 10 1/2 year old beagle, Maddie, is currently on low dose chemotherapy for soft tissue sarcoma. She is tolerating her one-pill-per-day quite well. My three previous beagles died of cancer...bladder, lymphoma, and liver. My take on it is that veterinary medicine has all but eliminated the other causes of death of our canine companions. Of course, the environment, additives in dog food, and other factors may contribute to the problem, but cancer will remain the cause of death for many of our beloved pets.

Honored Contributor

I do think all this in breeding has something to do with it. I went to visit my DD and noticed that her little shelty was losing a ton of hair. This was several years ago. I told her she needed to get her to the vet right away.  She did. She was full of cancer. That can be a stress or pain sign and should not be ignored.  Also loosing weight, even a little, may be cause for concern.  We had a dog with lots of feet problems.  I think it's what DH was using on our yard. Also I wonder about all these medications and vaccines they give to dogs these days.  Animals don't do well with lots of medication from what I've seen.

Honored Contributor

Maybe it is the same reason that people are warned about:  lack of exercise, too much time indoors, and diet. Dogs have not been eating a basically human diet for that long back.  

Dogs lived a VERY different lifestyle even 60 years ago for the most part.  Maybe that is worth thinking about. . . Were they healthier then or now?  Maybe they are indoors and couch potatoes too much?  Like me!