Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

My ten-year-old beagle is undergoing similar testing. They suspect liver disease, or kidney or heart or Cushings, so she needs more tests. After this annus horribilis, as the Queen once put it (horrible year), I fear another attack of bad news.

On Thursday, my husband and I will visit my brother and my 98 year old mother, both in NJ. My niece died three weeks ago and I must provide more support than a phone call or a text. Since my husband has Alzheimer's, and I hate NJ driving, I have hired a car and driver, a radical cashectomy, to do the round trip transportation. Given that we have spent nothing on vacations, we're still ahead in our usual travel budget.

@Vivian   I'm very sorry about your beagle, your niece and your husband's Alzheimer's.  I did read about your niece's death in another post of yours.  I'm sorry you have to make the trip.  I'm sure it's extremely difficult given your husband's condition.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  I am glad to hear that Ava does not have an autoimmune disease.  Prayers for good results.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

@NickNack 

I'm saying my prayers to Saint Francis that your sweet lil nugget Ava will be okay, and her health will be managed like her mom's - she's landed in the right lap after all.

Animal angels have a way of placing animals in the care of the right people every time.

I like what you said Ko. I could not have put it better. Ava is such a sweetie, I'm glad that it sounds treatable.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack - I have a Tortie cat with hypothyroidism following a thyroidectomy that didn't produce the wanted results.  (Usually in cats, the parathyroid glands take over; not in my kitty!)  She's been on daily levothyroxine for a couple of years now and is doing very well.  Thankfully, it's one of the medicines that's relatively inexpensive.

I wish you and Ava the best.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@NickNack - I have a Tortie cat with hypothyroidism following a thyroidectomy that didn't produce the wanted results.  (Usually in cats, the parathyroid glands take over; not in my kitty!)  She's been on daily levothyroxine for a couple of years now and is doing very well.  Thankfully, it's one of the medicines that's relatively inexpensive.

I wish you and Ava the best.

@Venezia   I'm so glad your cat is doing well on her meds.  I am really hoping this is hypothyroidism that Ava has.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

I had two cats that developed hyperthyroidism in their later years. First one and then the other! They did extremely well on medication. It was a liquid and was easily given to both. I'm praying fir your sweet Ava. ❤️🙏🏻

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

I'm so happy for you and Ava about the test results. Fingers crossed that you will get additional good news. How is Ava feeling right now?

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@NickNack 

I'm so happy for you and Ava about the test results. Fingers crossed that you will get additional good news. How is Ava feeling right now?

Thank you @Silver Lining .  Ava feels fine. She was losing hair, but never acted like she felt bad.  After her sedation yesterday she threw up twice, but that was just a reaction to the sedative.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@NickNack 

Thank you @Silver Lining .  Ava feels fine. She was losing hair, but never acted like she felt bad.  After her sedation yesterday she threw up twice, but that was just a reaction to the sedative.

You're a wonderful mother for Ava and she's a trooper. A veterinarian told me that the sedation "always" makes the cat and dog patients throw up. I'll take his word for it since sedation does the same to me. Ick! Best wishes for Ava.

Esteemed Contributor

Thinking of your Ava and her diagnosis. Our Spuds (16 yo feline) started losing weight last year, had what I considered fur loss/thinning fur (plus he was pulling it out), was cranky, and was so hungry all the time. He was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on Methimazole. Within a very short time, things started turning around for him for the positive. He's now been on the medication for about 6 months and is a totally different kitty. His fur is back to what it was and his mood & hunger cravings are back to what was normal for him, and best of all is that his thyroid number is back to where it should be.

Will be thinking of your Ava and hoping that her diagnosis will be the very treatable thyroid issue.