Valued Contributor

Please help! We inherited a cocker spaniel

And we just love her, but had forgotten that this breed has such a strong odor. We're definitely keeping her, but yikes! Even after giving her her first bath, her coat has the odor. It's not her ears or mouth. Do any of you have suggestions? Thanks so much in advance!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please help! We inherited a cocker spaniel

Never heard of such a thing.  Almost 30 years of 2 Cockers.  Usually nasty smell with dogs is teeth related.

Esteemed Contributor

OH......****** sac....they must be taken care of ......every 6 mos or so.  That could be it. 

Respected Contributor

I would check in with a vet. It might be health related.

Super Contributor

Hello-

I too had a chocolate cocker for many years. Some things that could possibly cause a smell:

1. Her ears. Cockers are known to have ear problems/infections. My Missy had this problem.

2. Her teeth.

3. Her skin/feet. Some cockers (mine was one) have a problem with yeast/allergies or other skin issues, and need special shampoo or care from the vet or a doggie dermatologist.

4. Her food.

It sounds like you need to take her to a vet and see what they think. A word of caution about too many steroids- they can cause other problems down the line.

Best of luck with your new family member- Cockers are wonderful dogs!

Trusted Contributor

I put "cocker spaniel odor" into Google and got many good answers.  Here's a head start. Go do some research that might trigger a solution. (It might be what she eats! I found many refernces to food as a culprit if all medical reasons are ruled out.)

Better yet, bring the doggo to the vet for a thorough checkup and take vet's advice.

https://cockerspanielworld.com/how-to-stop-a-cocker-spaniel-from-smelling/

https://www.about-cocker-spaniels.com/my-cocker-spaniel-stinks-a-lot.html

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Cocker-Spaniel-smell

I think it is absolutely noble that you have inherited the dog and accepted responsibility for her instead of trying to find a different home. This is a very geneorus thing for you to take on. Congratulations on your new family member. Wishing you good luck to get her to smell sweet and give you joy.

Valued Contributor

My pug mix always has, what we call, "fritto feet". She always smells like corn chips. It's due to an overgrowth of yeast they can get on their feet and sometimes in their ears. I tried the grain free diet and special fungal shampoos, however, I found THE BEST shampoo for odors: (sorry pic is so big. I wanted you to be able to read all the words) It's expensive, but it works!! Top Performance The Neutralizer Dog & Cat Shampoo, 1-gal bottle ...

Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much for your replies! We have a vet appointment already scheduled for mid-August. We can't get in any sooner due to covid. I did speak to the vet and she said to clean her ears very thoroughly with alcohol. She's such a sweet girl! The dog, not the vet, lol!💜 Again, thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Eddy is an amstaff/cocker.  I've been his momma for over four years.  Whenever I snuggle up to Eddy(often!), he smells like freshly baked sugar cookies right out of the oven!  I savor his 'smell'.

Hope you find your new furbaby's problem.  These are very affectionate dogsHeart!

God Bless you and your newly acquired furbaby!

Honored Contributor

@Sawn 

I've had 4 cockers in my lifetime and they all had odor that was related to their ears.

You have to keep their ears clean very regularly.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.