Honored Contributor

Re: Ava Is Terrified Of Henry

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@NickNack - don't give up on them.  My daughter and her husband got a new puppy in January. 

The new puppy was afraid of the cat, the cat wanted nothing to do with the pup.   

I got a picture just this weekend with the two of them nose to nose, really cute.  It took a while but they came around.

Thank you @CelticCrafter .  I hope that will happen, but I'll settle for just ignoring each other.  I will not give up.  I think it will take longer for a 3 1/2 year old dog than a puppy.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

How awful that Henry is terrorizing Ava.  I hope he calms down.

On another note, did Ava eat today and do her business?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I edited my original post and wanted to add this here, too.  

Since one poster commented that it must be terrible to be terrified every minute of every day and that she doubted this would ever work.  It is NOT every minute of every day.  She was scared this morning but hasn't been since.  She is sitting beside me on the couch right now very happy and content. I do not plan on giving up unless this proves to not be able to work.  That would be months from now, not days.  I will give her as much time as she needs.  I think this is where she needs to be.  She had fear issues to work out before she came here, and I was aware of that.

@NickNack 

That's good news.👍  

Since it seems that Ava isn't terrified all the time, it may take a little more eagle-eyed detective work on your part, @NickNack!😉

Maybe it's when Henry directly confronts her?  Like at the door this morning when she was afraid to come out.  Or when he arches his back at her, giving her vibes that he's not happy or relaxed with her?  You could have a bit of a problem with Henry, as well as Ava.  Neither are used to each other yet, so there's still tension, which Ava seems to be very attuned and reactive to.

Now that you have an idea of what's going on, you can keep a close eye on when it is that Ava gets frightened and see what's happening around her at those times.  You want this to work, so I'm sure you'll do whatever it takes to get little Ava feeling that your home is now her home too!🤞❤️

@geezerette   It happens when she sees him, but she doesn't see him all the time.  Just now he was outside on my screened in porch looking in the door, and she did it.  I'm not sure what to do when it happens.  I am very anxious to get the trainer's contact information this morning so I can call her.

When I see him I try to divert her attention from him and tell her that it's okay.  That's probably exactly the wrong thing to do though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

How awful that Henry is terrorizing Ava.  I hope he calms down.

On another note, did Ava eat today and do her business?

@ValuSkr   Henry isn't terrorizing Ava.  He does nothing at all except try to be her friend.  Ava is very afraid of him, but there's no reason to be.

Ava went outside this morning and peed and pooped, but she didn't eat her breakfast.  She's been eating though.  This morning she was afraid of Henry, and I think that's why she wouldn't eat.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry this is happening. My oldest Frenchies Jax who is 11 came into our home with 5 long haired chihuahuas. He got along with them fine. My oldest chihuahua bossed him around and he knew not to push her.
Over the years Jax has never really liked other dogs or people for that matter. He was great for a few years then he changed and got very protective. When we lost our 16 year old female chi we decided we would get another Fenchie. Bella passed December 2018 and we got Lily June 29th of 2019. We have this big plastic pen we used to use when we went camping to put all the chis in while we were out. So when we got Lily we put her in there while we couldn't hold Lily or watch them like a hawk. He was rough with her and had no clue how to deal with her at first. After a few minutes here and there over a few weeks he loved Lily and learned to play with her great. We repeated the whole thing a 2 1/2 months later when we got Lola. Lola was only 3 pounds when we got her so we were much more careful and took a little longer to let them play together. 
The moral of this story is time and patience might just be the key. Try to relax because Ava can sense your frustration. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack , 

I know you said Ava did not interact well with the dogs at her previous home. You said she lived with a cat, too. Do you know how she got along? 

I really think only time will help in this instance. Maybe you could try putting their scents on each other with a towel. 

Best of luck to you. I feel like it will work its self out. 

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@NickNack , 

I know you said Ava did not interact well with the dogs at her previous home. You said she lived with a cat, too. Do you know how she got along? 

I really think only time will help in this instance. Maybe you could try putting their scents on each other with a towel. 

Best of luck to you. I feel like it will work its self out. 

@Tissyanne   Ava got along well with the dogs at the breeder's.  She played with them all the time.  The breeder said that sometimes she would get her feelings hurt and go back to her crate.  Then she would go back outside to play with them.  She ignored the cat.  When I went to the breeder's to meet her, she brought another dog out with her to make her feel more comfortable.

When I took her to the Vet there was a golden retriever in the waiting room that she very much wanted to interact with in a friendly way.

I just talked with the trainer, and she's coming at 5:00 tonight.  That's perfect for me.  She didn't have any openings the rest of the week.  She said it will probably take about two sessions.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I edited my original post and wanted to add this here, too.  

Since one poster commented that it must be terrible to be terrified every minute of every day and that she doubted this would ever work.  It is NOT every minute of every day.  She was scared this morning but hasn't been since.  She is sitting beside me on the couch right now very happy and content. I do not plan on giving up unless this proves to not be able to work.  That would be months from now, not days.  I will give her as much time as she needs.  I think this is where she needs to be.  She had fear issues to work out before she came here, and I was aware of that.

@NickNack 

That's good news.👍  

Since it seems that Ava isn't terrified all the time, it may take a little more eagle-eyed detective work on your part, @NickNack!😉

Maybe it's when Henry directly confronts her?  Like at the door this morning when she was afraid to come out.  Or when he arches his back at her, giving her vibes that he's not happy or relaxed with her?  You could have a bit of a problem with Henry, as well as Ava.  Neither are used to each other yet, so there's still tension, which Ava seems to be very attuned and reactive to.

Now that you have an idea of what's going on, you can keep a close eye on when it is that Ava gets frightened and see what's happening around her at those times.  You want this to work, so I'm sure you'll do whatever it takes to get little Ava feeling that your home is now her home too!🤞❤️

@geezerette   It happens when she sees him, but she doesn't see him all the time.  Just now he was outside on my screened in porch looking in the door, and she did it.  I'm not sure what to do when it happens.  I am very anxious to get the trainer's contact information this morning so I can call her.

When I see him I try to divert her attention from him and tell her that it's okay.  That's probably exactly the wrong thing to do though.

@NickNack 

I'm certainly no trainer, but I'll bet that's exactly what she says to do.  If you calmly divert Ava's attention when she gets scared of Henry she'll eventually learn that she can just walk away from him if she wants and nothing bad will happen.  It's just going to take time.  And a lot of patience.

Don't forget that even though both Henry and Ava have been fine with other dogs and cats, they haven't been exposed to each other.  Henry has been used to Frankie--how she acted and smelled, and he knows that Ava isn't Frankie.  So he's probably confused too.

And Ava is just totally upside down.  Her whole life is suddenly different--new house, new mommy, new cat brother.  And she's got a naturally timid personality to begin with, so that is what makes it harder.  She doesn't know what to do, so she falls back on what she does know--being afraid.

If you are calm and patient, and with a bit of guidance from a trainer, I'm sure you will hit on the way(s) to make Ava feel comfortable and come out of her shell.  She may never be an outgoing dog, but she's come a long way in just the few days you've had her.

It doesn't sound like Henry will be a problem.  Once Ava settles down, they will most likely be fine together, if not become friends.

Keep us updated about what the trainer says.🐾

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the encouraging words @geezerette .  That is my hope.  I'm looking forward to having the trainer come tonight.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack , 

You are a very wonderful, and caring pet person. I am glad the trainer is coming. Very positive step. 

Thank you for explaining Ava's relationship with the other dogs, and cat. 

I will be waiting to read your thoughts later. 

Prayers for the 3 of you.