Contributor

Is anyone familiar with the teacup dogs?

Honored Contributor

@Maine blueberries No, but I think they are kind of creepy. It doesn't seem "natural" to breed such tiny dogs. But that's just me.

Honored Contributor

They are not accepted in any of the reputable registries because their small size causes numerous health issues.  I would recommend looking into buying a toy breed (not teacup) from a reputable breeder.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I've seen some really pathetic cases where dogs were bred down too small.  No ethical breeder would do this; they breed to improve the breed not to create horrendous health problems.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Maine blueberries -

I've heard of teacup cats but like others have said, they have all kinds of health problems. 

Poor innocent animals.

It sounds so cute but is not good for them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Don't encourage this type of breeding.  I had a 4 lb rescue once who needed neutered.  He couldn't even get his whatits to descend and it was all downhill for the rest of his life.  Bad heart too.

Regular Contributor

Teacups is a term never used by ethical breeders.  If you are interested in a healthy dog, see the weight averages for the toy breeds, as recommended earlier.  I just adopted a new Maltese after losing my other two at about 15 1/2 years.  He is charting to be about 5 pounds adult size which is within standards for the breed.  My other two were larger.  

Their size never mattered to me, just love the breed.

Valued Contributor

I don't think I've ever seen one.

Frequent Contributor

They are so cute!

Respected Contributor

@Maine blueberries wrote:

Is anyone familiar with the teacup dogs?

Yes, but only because repeatedly breeding down the size  of any animal is unethical. It is done by mating/breeding the smallest male with the smallest female. They are usually very closely related like brother & sister; mother & son; father & daughter; first cousins, etc. This compounds existing physical deficits, deformities, health, etc. It is unnatural and cruel to create animals who will suffer and die.