Trusted Contributor

Re: Ava Hasn't Eaten Anything

Our dog cracked a tooth from a nylabone and had to have the tooth extracted.  I threw it away. It broke in 3 pieces. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

You and I are talking dental issues a lot lately. I hope her vet gets things sorted

out for Ava quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

I look forward to reading your posts everyday about Ava and Henry. I am glad Ava is doing well.  Please keep us updated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got Ava's Vet visit moved up from next Wednesday to this Saturday.  That's the earliest she had if I wanted to see that particular Vet.  All of the Vets in that practice are good, but since this is her first New Pet visit, I wanted to see the one that worked with me during Frankie's last illness.

I tried to get Ava to eat her breakfast on her own yesterday morning, and instead she just didn't eat.  I was stubborn and didn't hand feed her.  I did hand feed her last night.  I have to put the refrigerated Pet Fresh in my hand with a few kibble.  She will eat all of it.  As you can imagine, it's messy and gets on the floor.

I don't want to complain about my very sweet girl, but Fresh Pet is expensive, and you have to finish the bag in a week.  She can't finish it in a week, so a lot will go to waste.  Also, Target is the only place I could find the type that she will eat.  I wasted an entire bag of Fresh Pet that I found at Kroger because they didn't have the right kind.  I do want her to eventually just eat kibble on her own.  I'm not even sure how they do the hand feeding if you have to leave them at the kennel/Vet when you go out of town.  

Her breeder says she did not hand feed her.  She thinks she may be trying to bond with me this way.  I don't know.  

I will be anxious for my Vet to look at her gums, especially in the back of her mouth.  I just wonder if something's going on.  She really seems to like the Wellness kibble, but she won't eat it without the Fresh Pet, even if I feed it to her.

Edited to add:  I just tried to feed her breakfast, and she wouldn't eat.  She also wouldn't pee before we went to bed last night.  That's just not good on her kidneys.  I stay outside with her for a very long time.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  So happy to hear that Miss Ava is settling in, eating, drinking, and even barking at Henry.  Seems like your household is getting back to normal, which is a very good thing.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I got Ava's Vet visit moved up from next Wednesday to this Saturday.  That's the earliest she had if I wanted to see that particular Vet.  All of the Vets in that practice are good, but since this is her first New Pet visit, I wanted to see the one that worked with me during Frankie's last illness.

I tried to get Ava to eat her breakfast on her own yesterday morning, and instead she just didn't eat.  I was stubborn and didn't hand feed her.  I did hand feed her last night.  I have to put the refrigerated Pet Fresh in my hand with a few kibble.  She will eat all of it.  As you can imagine, it's messy and gets on the floor.

I don't want to complain about my very sweet girl, but Fresh Pet is expensive, and you have to finish the bag in a week.  She can't finish it in a week, so a lot will go to waste.  Also, Target is the only place I could find the type that she will eat.  I wasted an entire bag of Fresh Pet that I found at Kroger because they didn't have the right kind.  I do want her to eventually just eat kibble on her own.  I'm not even sure how they do the hand feeding if you have to leave them at the kennel/Vet when you go out of town.  

Her breeder says she did not hand feed her.  She thinks she may be trying to bond with me this way.  I don't know.  

I will be anxious for my Vet to look at her gums, especially in the back of her mouth.  I just wonder if something's going on.  She really seems to like the Wellness kibble, but she won't eat it without the Fresh Pet, even if I feed it to her.

Edited to add:  I just tried to feed her breakfast, and she wouldn't eat.  She also wouldn't pee before we went to bed last night.  That's just not good on her kidneys.  I stay outside with her for a very long time.

Hi @NickNack 

Why not freeze the uneaten portions to thaw out at a later time? The Fresh Pet website answers this in its FAQs.

If I were you, I'd handfeed her until her sore teeth issue is resolved. I think she's trying.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I would be concerned too...she should be peeing regularly,  and also feel hungry enough to eat on her own...unless she's just a picky eater.  You'll probably get answers to what's going on once you see your vet.  Maybe they'll do a full bloodwork??   I know you've been through alot with your other pet, and I'm sure expensive,  so I truly hope this is a simple fix and diagnosis. 

When I got Gabriel,  I had just lost my previous Lab 2 months before, and my mixed breed also 5 weeks before him...it was so awful.   So when I took Gabriel into the vet, and he gave some concerning news, but treatable,  I just broke down and sobbed...I felt kinda of embarrassed,  but I explained I had just went through the loss of 2 pets within 8 weeks of each other and the thought of nursing Gabriel through was very upsetting.  I was expecting a happy, healthy puppy.

I'm sure Ava will be great and your vet will help...looking foward to more normalcy for her and no concerns for you...just all pleasure😊.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack    I know just how worried you feel.... I wish I could hug you. Once you go to the vet... see what is going on.... and go from there.  Dogs do not stop eating for no reason... it is usually a true concern when that is an issue with a dog.   Please update us with your findings after the vet visit.... 

Honored Contributor

Thanks @GingerPeach .  I'll go to the Fresh Pet website and read about freezing it.

I will not stop handfeeding Ava until she will eat on her own.  I wouldn't do that.  She wouldn't eat from my hand this morning though.  She ate all of her supper last night.  I'll be so glad to have this Vet visit on Saturday.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I didn't mean to imply you were doing anything wrong, @NickNack 

I know you're just one of the best dog moms around!

But with all the worries on your plate, something simple like freezing can easily escape one's attention. We've all been there! Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.