Honored Contributor

Re: Any outbreaks of the Dog Flu in your area?

wrote:

I just spent time in the hospital with the flu...and I had a flut shot this year!  I am trying to stay clear of my dog but he's a Mommy's boy.  My son is taking him for a couple of days.  But I am closely monitoring him too.

Do you know that the flu cannot be passed from human to canine or from canine to human?

Your dog is in no anger of catching the flu from you.  Just give him a hug, you’ll both feel better.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I just spent time in the hospital with the flu...and I had a flut shot this year!  I am trying to stay clear of my dog but he's a Mommy's boy.  My son is taking him for a couple of days.  But I am closely monitoring him too.

@CalminHeart  Your dog can't get the flu from you.  If your dog had the flu, he couldn't give it to you either.  It can't be passed from human to dog and vice versa.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Suewrote:

There have been a couple cases in my area.  My dog got the vaccine. It was actually two shots.  My dog is around quite a few other dogs.

Are you considering getting your dog the immunization? Your vet didn’t recommend it? 

My opinion: get your dog groomed don’t worry about it.

Until about a year ago there were two seaparatemvaccines available for the two strains of dog flu.  However now there is what they call a bivalent vaccine that covers both strains of the dog flu.  Ask your vet.

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:
@Fressa wrote:

I'm in PA and we have the dog flu in our area. One of news channel did a story and they featured a local vet who stated that senior dogs were at greater risk. He also advised no dog parks, groomers, public places or unnecessary trips to the vets. He even stated that if your dog walk route is a popular route for other dogs you might reconsider a different route until the flu subsides. (also those pet stores where you can take your dog shopping with you). I thought it was good common sense reminder.

I'm next door in Ohio.....this is basically what my Vet told me.... 

Same exact warnings here in VA from our vet during our dog's wellness check. It must be here, too, though I witnessed no obviously sick dogs while there. Sure hope our lab didn’t catch it.