Esteemed Contributor

Any outbreaks of the Dog Flu in your area?

I had my Holly at the Vet this week for her annual check-up and the Vet warned me that there was "alot of the dog flu going around right now".

Any around your area?

Now I am wondering if I should cancel her grooming appointment at the beginning of next month....

Honored Contributor

Re: Any outbreaks of the Dog Flu in your area?

Not here—yet.  All the dogs in my vet’s office got their flu vaccines quite a while ago, though.  (The vet and tech bring their dogs to the office most days.)

My dog was in for her annual exam and vaccinations a few weeks ago and she did not get a flu vaccine.  No mention of it, either.  But then, she isn’t exposed to other dogs.

Respected Contributor

My Vet recommended the flu vaccine for my dogs this year because they go to the groomer. Since the dog flu vaccine came out she only did not give it to them one year. I trust her as I have had her as my vet since 1994. She told me that she sees the dogs with the dog flu in the clients car out in the parking lot because the disease spreads so easily that she does not want to take the chance for the healthy dogs to pick up the virus in her clinic. So I would not bring my dogs to the groomer if the did not have their flu shots. 

Honored Contributor

I just spent time in the hospital with the flu...and I had a flut shot this year!  I am trying to stay clear of my dog but he's a Mommy's boy.  My son is taking him for a couple of days.  But I am closely monitoring him too.

Respected Contributor

There have been a couple cases in my area.  My dog got the vaccine. It was actually two shots.  My dog is around quite a few other dogs.

Are you considering getting your dog the immunization? Your vet didn’t recommend it? 

My opinion: get your dog groomed don’t worry about it.

Regular Contributor

I was just reading that a lot of people are not going to attend the Golden Gate Kennel Club Dog Show in Daly City, Ca, due to the dog flu. Also, at Vet yesterday and they had signs posted on door not to enter if dog is coughing.  Sounds like it may have hit California hard.  Also, there are two strains and you have to get the shots a few weeks apart. 

Honored Contributor

Vets will probably be encouraging you to get a dog flu shot, much as doctors - and supermarkets and drug stores - encourage humans to get a shot.

Valued Contributor

I was at the vets yesterday and a flu shot wasn't mentioned.  I live in Florida

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in PA and we have the dog flu in our area. One of news channel did a story and they featured a local vet who stated that senior dogs were at greater risk. He also advised no dog parks, groomers, public places or unnecessary trips to the vets. He even stated that if your dog walk route is a popular route for other dogs you might reconsider a different route until the flu subsides. (also those pet stores where you can take your dog shopping with you). I thought it was good common sense reminder.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I'm in PA and we have the dog flu in our area. One of news channel did a story and they featured a local vet who stated that senior dogs were at greater risk. He also advised no dog parks, groomers, public places or unnecessary trips to the vets. He even stated that if your dog walk route is a popular route for other dogs you might reconsider a different route until the flu subsides. (also those pet stores where you can take your dog shopping with you). I thought it was good common sense reminder.

I'm next door in Ohio.....this is basically what my Vet told me....