Super Contributor

Questions about use of Velvet Mesquite products

I just purchased Nick's Velvet Mesquite shampoo & conditioner. Read the instructions before I used it. I have a couple of questions.

The shampoo says to apply to the roots. Do you work it in all over your hair?

The conditioner says to apply it 2 inches from the scalp. Do you work it down to the ends of your hair?

I noticed that cool water is recommended for rinsing out the shampoo & conditioner, similiar to what you do with WEN.

I didn't notice any fullness to my hair, so wonder if I did something wrong.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Path

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Questions about use of Velvet Mesquite products

[ Edited ]

I use it and the shampoo I do as I would with any other shampoo, work it into a lather and massage it in to my whole head, scalp & hair. The conditioner I just smoosh it around between the palms of my hands and run my hands through my hair all the way to the ends. I don't pay any attention to the part about keeping it exactly 2 inches from my scalp as I run my hands through my hair, I'm probably an inch or less from my scalp but then I've never put any brand of condtioner all the way down to my scalp. I must say though it does give me more fullness when I use it than other shampoos and condtioners I've tried.

Respected Contributor

Hello, again. Smiley Happy I don't use Nick's Velvet Mesquite shampoo and conditioner, but I use his Traditions Yucca Root shampoo and conditioner, the instructions are the same.

Yes, you do put the shampoo all over your hair just like other shampoos. But what some people do is they put the shampoo ON TOP of their hair, but don't work it into the scalp. The hair ends up getting clean, but the scalp it still dirty because the shampoo didn't reach it.

Yes, you do work the conditioner down to the ends of your hair. Nick's conditioner is very thick and has the consistency of toothpaste. Nick believes that putting conditioner directly on the scalp clogs the pours in your scalp, so the instructions say to keep it 2 inches away from the scalp. Of course, all conditioners are different and might have a different result.

Nick says to wash with warm water because it opens the pours in your scalp so the shampoo can do it's work. Then he says rinse with cool so the pours in scalp close again. But I've washed and rinsed with warm water, so I don't think it matters.

Sorry if that sounds too long and complicated. Smiley Happy I'll post a shorter version.

Work the shampoo through your scalp AND all over your hair, keep the conditioner 2 inches away from the scalp and put it on your hair and the ends of your hair, rinse the conditioner out really well.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

I started using Nick's Velvet Mesquite Shampoo and Conditioner after I stopped using WEN and I love it!  It made my hair full and fluffy again.  I use it just like I do any other shampoo and conditioner, I do take it down to the roots but I'm not aggressive with it.  I'm just about to order some more.... wish it came in larger bottles .... I do think it's a quality product.... at least it works for me... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like Nick's products but, this shampoo & conditioner is the exception ... it did not shine my hair and left it dry and frizzy ... I wanted to like it but, it doesn't like me!!!

Contributor

I'm a big fan of the Velvet Mesquite shampoo & conditioner as well as all the products in this line.  I do just use it the same way as any other shampoo & conditioner - work it in real well.  Then for the conditioner I let it sit on my head while I'm still finishing up in the shower so that it really conditions it well.  Then I rinse with the cool water. I think the cool water makes it shinier than without it.   Waiting for the new boost spray to arrive any day now.  Can't wait to see how that is.

Regular Contributor

HTH

Diane

“Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.”
Super Contributor

shaggygirl:

Thank you for the tips. I just got caught up in the directions which is unlike me actually. I thought maybe there was a special technique to using this product.

I did rub the conditioner between my palms before applying, but I didn't use enough.

I gave you a heart lol.

Path

Super Contributor

NC Bandwagon,

Not long or complicated at all. Loved your short version. Right to the point. Thank you.

I will use more product the next time & let the conditioner stay on my hair longer. It reminds me of guacamole.

On a personal note, I love your black leather jacket in your photo.

I gave you a heart.

Path

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patheticcosmetics wrote:

NC Bandwagon,

Not long or complicated at all. Loved your short version. Right to the point. Thank you.

I will use more product the next time & let the conditioner stay on my hair longer. It reminds me of guacamole.

On a personal note, I love your black leather jacket in your photo.

I gave you a heart.

Path

You're welcome. And thank you for the compliment, but that's not a picture of me.....that's Nick wearing a leather jacket. Smiley Very Happy Here's the full picture of him.

Nick 4.jpg

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder