Respected Contributor

son's poor/deadly decision amid the virus

i am going to try to condense this story a bit.

stepson was at job corps nearby. He is 18. it's a somewhat remote location, and when they decided to put all of them on a 30 day seclusion, we thought great, good place to be. away from it all. 

a few days later, they decide (for whatever reason) to send everyone home for the 30 days. dh drives up to get him, all is good. 

a week after being in "lockdown" he wants to go visit a friend and play video games.  dh had a long talk to him about the virus and how we can't do that, as  exposing himself, can bring it back to us.

both dh and i are seniors, and dd has history of some respiratory issues.

next thing we know, ds is telling us he is going to his mom's house for do some work for her for pay.  his mom lives in a remote location, and never has visitors, so this is pretty safe.

following morning dd tells us that's not where he really went at all and he was "hooking up" with a random female'

to say that dh was livid, is putting it mildly. eyes bulging, steaming ears the works.  He now can't come back into the house, until this is over pretty much.  we have no idea who this random girl is, what her exposure level is nothing. 

we text son, telling him "what were you thinking???  you are putting all of our lives at risk"  

being 18 and thinking he's bulletproof, he responds with some statistics about how chances are, we won't die. what???  so since he can't come home, and has no desire to go see his mom, he's roaming around in one of the major cities in our state, chilling, and couch surfing.

just don't know what to say, think or do.  On top of all of this at the end of the job corps quarantine he will want/need a ride back up to the facility.  i told dh, he's gonna have to take the bus they will have in this town, for riders to go back up.

dh tossed and turned all night, and said he had nightmares. what a mess. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: son's poor/deadly decision amid the virus

I am very sorry for all your troubles.  I certainly hope everything works out ok.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I worked with the Job Corps at one time in recruiting and job placement.  I feel certain they will provide adequate transportation back to the center to which he is assigned.  Your husband would be foolish to drive him back when it's unnecessary.  After kicking him out of the house, why would it be wise to invite him into the car?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, that is awful.  The folly of youth.  You have to protect yourselves.  Hoping you are not in a "hot zone".  

Honored Contributor

That's terrible. He obviously has not seen the news reports of young people under 20 dying from this.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  we have no intention of letting him get in the car with any of us.   i'm sad he put his desires ahead of all of our lives/health.  SMH

Respected Contributor

There is no excuse.  He is on his own now.  I hope he lives to grow up.

Respected Contributor

You and your husband made the right.call.  He put his life in danger.  He has no right to put yours in danger..

He is a Co-Vidiot.

Esteemed Contributor

His choice comes with consequences. Good thing DD clued you into the truth. Good for you to respond with tough love; really the only sane choice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So very sorry.