Trusted Contributor

holiday cards with photos….

how many of you love receiving holiday phot cards of kids, pets and families? i was just reading some articles and found the opposite, and was surprised…i was googling how to take a great family photo card, and up came some articles on how a lot people dislike getting "photo" cards from friends and family…gee, i love getting photo cards and always send them of my kids, and this year was thinking of sending one of the whole family (and puppy too)…now, i have to admit, i don't care for bragging letters of what the entire family did that year, but photo cards i love…just wondering what the ladies (and men) here think?

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

Re: holiday cards with photos….

We moved out of state and when I had my children I did a photo Xmas card every year of the two of them. Everyone always told me how much they looked forward to them. I always wrote a personal note on the back of each one. Now that my children are grown we don't get together that often but when my DD graduated college we had a family photo of the four of us together with DD in her cap & gown. Again, everyone told me they loved getting the photo. I know that I enjoy getting them. I enjoy getting regular greeting cards too.

Super Contributor

I send many Christmas cards with a family photo (usually taken when we're all together at Thanksgiving) and (the dreaded) Christmas Letter (always only 1 page!). We receive many cards/pictures/letters each year, too. I read/re-read and hang them up to look at all during the holidays. They are a daily reminder of the friends/family that I love and how really blessed we are. As the price of postage goes up, I will find other things to do without.

Honored Contributor

We often get photocards of families/kids/spouses that are my DH's current and past colleagues' families. I have know idea who these people are.....it's a yearly joke with us...who the heck is this???? The only ridiculous card we received this year was one in which there was a collage of photos...one in which the daughter (8) was dressed-up like a dance tramp with a ton of makeup and very little clothes on...stupidly disturbing...I do send photos of my DS in xmas cards to close friends and family.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

I enjoy getting any cards, including photo cards. I prefer to send out religious Christmas cards, but I'll often tuck in a photo of my grandkids, etc. to close family and friends that I know will be wanting to see how they've changed over the past year.

I don't send/receive cards from casual acquaintances, so maybe this makes a difference in my perception of getting and sending the personal stuff.

Contributor

To each their own, and different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. But....

Our immediate family has always been on the side of tradition. Beautiful Christmas cards are getting more rare each year. The postage is way out of some people's comfort zone especially in a slow economy. Some have dropped sending greetings because of the cost of cards and postage in favor of sending an e-mail greetings. And I do understand that and appreciate getting an eCard or Merry Christmas thinking of You... than not. Receiving a beautiful Christmas card is special these days. Our family, does not particularly care for the "fabo- stretching- the- truth- a- bit - holiday- newsletter" or what some call The Gilded Lily Christmas Letter OR THE, Oh Joy Its A Photo Christmas Card {#emotions_dlg.blink}. Now what do I do with it after Christmas? It makes you feel ungrateful and wrong throwing it out at the end of the season. I don't need anymore pictures. People are drowning in photos today. Don't throw stones here gals but, yes there are many who feel both of these practices are tacky.

If you want to send a photo of (whatever) INSIDE the Christmas card that is more appropriate sent to immediate family ONLY. The Holiday Letter... fa-get-ta-bout-it. Close family and friends know all about what went on in your life and lives of your kids and grands all through the year. Enough already, it gets long in the tooth. Some have become so narcisstic that it is such a bore. Business associates that are 9 to 5 friends and aquaintances seriously could care little about your family's news. They too, have already heard about it all year through.

Super Contributor

Bah Humbug!

Respected Contributor

I love receiving them especially when it's from a relative living far from us and can't get together too often. I love to see how much the kids have grown up after a year. They are precious to me. I usually toss most Christmas cards after the season, but the photo cards I keep. I have some more than 20 years old. They never come with the "bragging" letter either. To be honest, I have never sent one though.

Esteemed Contributor

Love them -- much better than a glittery, generic holiday message. Love to see how kids are growing.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

On 1/30/2014 Oceanview said:

To each their own, and different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. But....

Our immediate family has always been on the side of tradition. Beautiful Christmas cards are getting more rare each year. The postage is way out of some people's comfort zone especially in a slow economy. Some have dropped sending greetings because of the cost of cards and postage in favor of sending an e-mail greetings. And I do understand that and appreciate getting an eCard or Merry Christmas thinking of You... than not. Receiving a beautiful Christmas card is special these days. Our family, does not particularly care for the "fabo- stretching- the- truth- a- bit - holiday- newsletter" or what some call The Gilded Lily Christmas Letter OR THE, Oh Joy Its A Photo Christmas Card {#emotions_dlg.blink}. Now what do I do with it after Christmas? It makes you feel ungrateful and wrong throwing it out at the end of the season. I don't need anymore pictures. People are drowning in photos today. Don't throw stones here gals but, yes there are many who feel both of these practices are tacky.

If you want to send a photo of (whatever) INSIDE the Christmas card that is more appropriate sent to immediate family ONLY. The Holiday Letter... fa-get-ta-bout-it. Close family and friends know all about what went on in your life and lives of your kids and grands all through the year. Enough already, it gets long in the tooth. Some have become so narcisstic that it is such a bore. Business associates that are 9 to 5 friends and aquaintances seriously could care little about your family's news. They too, have already heard about it all year through.

you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree with you more...really a photo card is tacky? I agree with the brag letters but not with photo cards, I find regular Xmas cards boring, especially if you have a young family, I'd rather see how they look and grow from year to year, obviously if you don't have children or if children are grown a simple card can be more appropriate..but plain ole "beautiful" cards will get thrown out long before a photo card--JMO
Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it