Regular Contributor

Re: Have you kept your old Linea?

[ Edited ]

Several ladies mentioned Louis' sequined skirts and tops.  For many years, Louis used to do several "holiday" themed items every year in November or thereabouts and they were some of his most beautiful, enduring items.  But for about the last two years there have been no special holiday items, and I think Louis indicated on his blog that the buyers were not interested in such things now, given the all-casual all-the-time mantra that dominates the Q and in fact most retail fashion today.

I would love to see a few, or even one, special "holiday" Linea item with a bit of glitz this year.  But I'm probably hoping in vain.

Several years ago, our house in a rural area suffered a sudden mouse invasion, with the horrible creatures eating through books and pantry items and leaving disgusting damage all over the place, including closets.  I managed to salvage most of the clothing the beasts attacked, but one treasured Linea holiday dress was beyhond saving: a black knit dress with georgous heavy beading around the neckline.  The glitz must have attracted them as they chewed through the stitching holding the beading to the fabricc.  My only consolation as the dress hit the trash can was thinking that the creatures choked on the beads as our exterminator's potions took hold.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a few jackets and coats I have kept but mostly what I find difficult to part with is the WK t-neck and v-neck.  They are such a good layering piece under many different items.   I have drawers full!!

Respected Contributor

Like most of us, I have an extensive WK collection and it's hard to part with anything. Coats, including a gorgeous embroidered one and suede jacket, trenches, pea coats, boucle and lace jackets, motos, etc. I also love the silk beaded tunics and the sparkle/beaded holiday tops and skirts in black & red.

I also wish Louis would be "allowed" to do another beaded holiday skirt, but in a midi or ankle length! I coveted one from St. John years ago and it was so exquisite, but well over $1,000 and not in my budget (while paying private school tuition for my kiddos!) But, I'd still like to own one...maybe if Louis doesn't do one, I'll get lucky on Ebay one of these days!

Respected Contributor

I usually need one new glam outfit each fall/winter and formerly did buy many pieces from the Linea holiday collection.  Would love for Louis to do this again!  

I know I would jump at the chance for more of his very special extra glamorous pieces, some that I can mix with his basics, black skirts, wide leg pants, etc.  I still have a beautiful silver pleated skirt I wear with a black cashmere sweater very often; it looks like molten pewter.  Sigh.  

Valued Contributor

I too would be thrilled to have a midi or long holiday glam item.  I'm not holding my breathe of course since I no longer expect one.  It's been fun though to go down memory lane on the various items we have longed for or purchased from the spectacular Linea line.  

Esteemed Contributor

@blinddogs wrote:

Several ladies mentioned Louis' sequined skirts and tops.  For many years, Louis used to do several "holiday" themed items every year in November or thereabouts and they were some of his most beautiful, enduring items.  But for about the last two years there have been no special holiday items, and I think Louis indicated on his blog that the buyers were not interested in such things now, given the all-casual all-the-time mantra that dominates the Q and in fact most retail fashion today.

I would love to see a few, or even one, special "holiday" Linea item with a bit of glitz this year.  But I'm probably hoping in vain.

Several years ago, our house in a rural area suffered a sudden mouse invasion, with the horrible creatures eating through books and pantry items and leaving disgusting damage all over the place, including closets.  I managed to salvage most of the clothing the beasts attacked, but one treasured Linea holiday dress was beyhond saving: a black knit dress with georgous heavy beading around the neckline.  The glitz must have attracted them as they chewed through the stitching holding the beading to the fabricc.  My only consolation as the dress hit the trash can was thinking that the creatures choked on the beads as our exterminator's potions took hold.

Screenshot_2017-09-21-21-11-27-1.png

@blinddogs

Is this the dress you loved and lost to the critter invasion?

I run across some fabulous vintage Linea on the bay. Many new with tags! Sometimes I'm lucky to find my size and purchase these cherished garments.

There's another ivory/cream colored tone on tone brocade jacket currently listed. Has a slight metallic thread. Some of you may recall this classic beauty. Very Jackie O. Not my size but someone would be lucky to re-home this beauty.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marlyn1

The lace sequin skirt you mentioned is one I missed. It sounds truly lovely, beautiful in fact. I'd love to look at it. If you can find time and share the item # I'd be most appreciative. Maybe the listing is still available for a look.

I must wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the Linea garments. Fortunately, I've amassed a lovely and cherished collection of vintage pieces. The superb quality of the fabrics and designs is amazing. Many pieces are truly breathtaking... And truly timeless. Aren't we lucky!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Screenshot_2017-09-21-22-33-37-1.png

Here's the jacket I'd previously mentioned. Both this and the black Milano Knit Beaded Dress, pictured above, are new with tags! Great asking price too. ●The dress has a make an offer option also.

Honored Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

Screenshot_2017-09-21-22-33-37-1.png

Here's the jacket I'd previously mentioned. Both this and the black Milano Knit Beaded Dress, pictured above, are new with tags! Great asking price too. ●The dress has a make an offer option also.

NAT:  Great topper.  That was a real find.  I so miss the beautiful fabrics that Louis and a couple other designers (Victor Costa) used for their beautiful lines.  I fear all the designers on QVC will be going third-rate quality and all poly all the time fabrics.  So very sad.  Even the very highest end designers are using poly all the time.  I miss the QVC cashmere line of which I have several pieces and still enjoy.  I miss the great quality, fabrics and design of the past which Louis seemed to do with such ease.  I have a Victor Costa jacket purchased at QVC that recently sold for quite a price at 1st Dibs.

Regular Contributor

Rochelle, No, that dress is not the one I lost to the mouse invasion.  It was a whisper knit type weight-- although at that time it was not called Whisper Knit-- and it had a V neck and long sleeves.  It was probably sold 10 years ago, if not more. (I still have Linea items from about 2002, which is when I discovered Linea-- not the absolute beginning of his shows on the Q but pretty close.

I used to buy from 2 or 3 vendors on Ebay who specialized in QVC items but my two favorites went out of business.  I used to be able to send checks for my purchases but then ebay required you to use PayPal, which I did not want to do since a friend of mine had a nightmare using that service.  Does Ebay still require use of PayPal for all purchases? If not, I might try again.