Respected Contributor

I have two 2-cup measuring cups--one Pyrex, one Tupperware. I've had both for 47 years! The Tupperware one never drips or runs down the side of the cup when pouring. The Pyrex one always does. I only use the Pyrex one for microwaving...then I'm very careful to hold it over the middle of whatever I'm pouring it into, so it actually ends up in there and not all over my counter/stove!

I will cry if anything ever happens to my Tupperware cup, lol! The measurement markings on it are even still readable.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Sooner --you know---you use all this stuff you have gotten over the years because  they still are in good shape and you use and   use them, then  cuss them out over and over cuzz-the dang things just don't do the job right!!!  am over that--just makes my crazy!!!Woman Mad

@wagirl 

absolutely and it is hard to part with something that is not worn out that is still viable but not what you want.  I have a rental house full of that.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

I have two 2-cup measuring cups--one Pyrex, one Tupperware. I've had both for 47 years! The Tupperware one never drips or runs down the side of the cup when pouring. The Pyrex one always does. I only use the Pyrex one for microwaving...then I'm very careful to hold it over the middle of whatever I'm pouring it into, so it actually ends up in there and not all over my counter/stove!

I will cry if anything ever happens to my Tupperware cup, lol! The measurement markings on it are even still readable.

@vermint 

Do you ever want to jerk your children through a buttonhole?  Well, my children moved me to the current location, along with their daddy, they threw out all my Tupperware, my mahogany (little girl) chair from 3 years of age, a French door that I had intended to put on a door here that I did not like.  They don't see the same value in such that I see.  It's the disposable generation.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Sooner --you know---you use all this stuff you have gotten over the years because  they still are in good shape and you use and   use them, then  cuss them out over and over cuzz-the dang things just don't do the job right!!!  am over that--just makes my crazy!!!Woman Mad

@wagirl Girl you have it right spot on!!!!  My husband loves to use stuff that doesn't work any more so I have to replace it!  Only thing, I wouldn't replace HIM!  ProbablyWoman WinkWoman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday 

I am so sorry that your children did that to you. How could they throw out your stuff? Your little chair must have been a treasure to you. That is so sad.

Like you, I like French doors. I had them in my first house, in the living room. At Christmas time, I would attach a paper snowflake or a tiny ornament to each pane of glass.

I still have my Toni dolls,Ginny dolls, clothes and furniture that I've had since I was 6 years old. I have a lot of collectible antiques and jewelry. My youngest son who still lives at home, said that after I'm gone, he is throwing out my stuff. I don't think that he would, because he is also a collector and knows that a lot of old  things have retail value. 

Four of my children appreciate old things and only one daughter just throws everything away. If any of them tried to get rid of any of my stuff while I was still alive, I would have a screaming fit.

You cracked me up, "Do you ever want to jerk your children

through a buttonhole"? I had never heard that expression    

before.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@vermint 

Do you ever want to jerk your children through a buttonhole?  Well, my children moved me to the current location, along with their daddy, they threw out all my Tupperware, my mahogany (little girl) chair from 3 years of age, a French door that I had intended to put on a door here that I did not like.  They don't see the same value in such that I see.  It's the disposable generation.

@Nonametoday I don't have children....and sometimes stories like yours make me glad! I'm so sorry they tossed your treasures without even asking you...that was very wrong of them.

Respected Contributor

Re: when enough is enough

[ Edited ]

@vermint 

Know what you mean about the Pyrex measuring cups. 

Great for melting butter or blending liquids in  the microwave and many other things,  but I had to learn to pour into the middle of another vessel and/or pour very quickly to keep the liquid from going where I did NOT want it.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Boehm Collector --I wanted glass to use in my tiny microwave on my table-----am in a wheelchair with a broken ankle  and my main micro is above my stove and I can't reach it--not supposed to put any weight on my foot---don't think I would put plastic in the micro wave, but do love OXO brand.

I am so sorry to read that you broke your ankle. I am impressed that you seem to be adjusting to life in a wheelchair and not putting weight on your foot. Hope you have a complete recovery. 

Honored Contributor

I'm appropriating that saying with one minor change:  "Do you ever want to jerk your husband through a buttonhole?"  I've always had trouble with those glass 4 cup measures, the spouts are not shaped correcly.  You would think the mfgrs would figure this out after all these years.  
""

Honored Contributor

I love Pyrex and can't bring myself to get rid of the old glass measuring cups, but I don't actually use them anymore, for the reason you described.

The culinary teacher at the school where I worked had a classroom clearance sale. I bought 3 silicone nesting cups, Pampered Chef brand, and they are in almost constant use. In addition, I have a two cup and a one cup silicone from OXO.  They're indestructible and the pouring accuracy is spot on.

~ house cat ~