Trusted Contributor

question about kitchen knives

I could not help but notice both hsn and evine had kitchen knives yesterday as tsv. Wolfgang puck and Todd English. I know Rachel Ray has hers on the q. and cutis stone has a line of them somewhere.  Anybdoy own any of these knives, are they sharp ? quality ?

I have mainlypurchased  zwelling in the past. I bought some sharper image knives at a discount store, just so so.

Honored Contributor

Re: question about kitchen knives

I tend to stick with the tried and true brands, and also I am not one for buying 'sets'.  Maybe for somebody's first knives a set is a good idea, though.

I have a few brands, but none of the celebrity type brands as they tend to be of lesser quality.  I'd rather pay more for an excellent quality knife and to get something that's made in China by a company that is mostly about volume.

JHMO, FWIW.  YMMV   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I bought the Cuisinart colored & sheath knives over a year ago from HSN.  They are great and I also gifted to sets.  I haven't had to sharpen as yet! Of course, I wash by hand.

I will say I bought the "groovetech" offered on Q and it gets dull quite quickly.  I have those little knife sharpeners which work great!

Esteemed Contributor

If you are i  the market for knife sets, try Costco (they sell Wusthof or Henkel, both well known brands).  These usually come with a block. Whatever you buy, get a sharpener; you need to keep your knives sharp!

Honored Contributor

I recently purchased the knives offered by the Pioneer Woman.

I like them because they are substantial in my hand.

Very sharp, I am very pleased with my purchase.

From Walmart

knives.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

That was my suspicion is that the celebrity knives are probably less quality. Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Wuestof and Henckels are the very best on the market.  The Q has a deal on a set of them right now  They are German made and the best quality ever.  Don't fall for cheap a real knife is an investment.  My dear husband purchased both Henckels and Wuestof and when he passed, he willed to whom he wanted his prize knives to go.  They are truly heirlooms.  I can still see him in the kitchen with those knives.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Cutco knives.  I bought them individually over time, and started them about 25 years ago.  I love them.  They aren't as expensive as the nicest Henkel's and Wuestofs, but they are very nice.  You can only buy them through their website.  I use the table knives, paring knife and petite chef knife the most frequently.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

what a beautiful post, thank you. Hearts to you.

Honored Contributor

@Fiero Woman wrote:

Wuestof and Henckels are the very best on the market.  The Q has a deal on a set of them right now  They are German made and the best quality ever.  Don't fall for cheap a real knife is an investment.  My dear husband purchased both Henckels and Wuestof and when he passed, he willed to whom he wanted his prize knives to go.  They are truly heirlooms.  I can still see him in the kitchen with those knives.

@Fiero Woman.  My dad was a knife collector so I was always conscious of the quality of knives.  I bought my share of the shopping channel knives.  Dad would come over and try to sharpen my knives and have a fit over their quality.

One day I was in a hardware store and a case of knives caught my attention.  They were Case (brand) and are exceptional quality but expensive.  They've been the "go to" knives in my kitchen for almost 40 years.  Don't waste your money on cheap knives.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment