Honored Contributor

Re: instant pot

[ Edited ]

Even though this is an 'old-ish' thread, I thought you might like to know that Dr. Oz featured the Instant Pot and a recipe.  The interior of this pot looks as though it's stainless steel, which I like.  The recipe is 'Chinese Chicken and Rice'.  It cooked rather quick, too.  Better and safer than a stove top pressure cooker, imo.   Enjoy!   p.s.: (The Dr. Oz episode date is Friday, December 22.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Even though this is an 'old-ish' thread, I thought you might like to know that Dr. Oz featured the Instant Pot and a recipe.  The interior of this pot looks as though it's stainless steel, which I like.  The recipe is 'Chinese Chicken and Rice'.  It cooked rather quick, too.  Better and safer than a pressure cooker, imo.   Enjoy!   p.s.: (The Dr. Oz episode date is Friday, December 22.)

@ROMARY

The Instant Pot IS a pressure cooker. Did you mean better and safer than a stovetop pressure cooker, maybe? (Now I'm going to look up that recipe!)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Re: instant pot

[ Edited ]

ShoesInBags:  It seemed as though (to me, anyway) the segment was a comparison between pressure cookers and the Instant Pot. They did show a stovetop pressure cooker explode in a kitchen.  Could have been in a restaurant, as several people scattered.  I think that the episode was relating to folks who weren't keeping an eye on the stove top pressure cooker, and possibly didn't release the steam at the appropriate time, etc. .  I'm only guessing that those possible explosions won't happen with the electric Instant Pot.  I guess it has an automatic steam release, etc.  Maybe you can watch the segment of the episode, just to 'get the story straight'. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I didn’t watch the episode, but yes...Electric pressure cookers

are much, much safer than stovetop.  

Once you program the cooking time & you hit ‘start’,

it will take care of itself.  You could walk away without worry.  

They automatically turn off when finished & natural release

the steam & automatically go into ‘warming mode’.  

I’m speaking of Instant Pot, but would strongly assume all

electric pressure cookers have cook-turnoff-warming mode.

Honored Contributor

I know/knew folks who have/had aluminum interior pressure cookers.  What I like about the Instant Pot is that it seemed (on TV) to have a stainless steel interior liner.  I'll have to search to find out, to make sure.  I love using stainless steel.  The recipe on Dr. Oz looked delicious and very easy/fast to cook.  ......... Keep in mind that I haven't had the nerve to purchase and use a stove top pressure cooker. Even Dr. Oz seemed reluctant to stand near the one (stove top) that was steaming away on the show.  He kept asking the guest if the loud steaming-cooking sound was normal, etc., etc.   'All in all', it was an informative show, regarding the pros of using the featured Instant Pot. 

Respected Contributor

I'm hoping to find "tried and true" recipes as I used my new instapot two days ago for the first time.  I've had other pressure cookers, stove top and electric, but this is the first time the directions said to put ribs on the rack.  Maybe that's why they seemed to have a better texture.  I had also read a recommend for "Ah So" Chinese BBQ sauce which I basted on the pressured ribs after removing them from the pot, then put them on the indoor grill just long enough to "char" which was part of the recommend I had read at Amazon.  It's true, that char was like iceing on the cake. 

Honored Contributor

After all of the Holiday shopping commotion, I'm going to shop around for one.  Maybe at Target or BB&B.  I like to check appliance items in person.  Check the packaging, etc. to make sure that they haven't been' banged around' or returned, etc.  Anyway, the Instant Pot probably is something that I will use over and over again.  Slow cookers are just too-too slow for me (lol).  

Respected Contributor

They have the mini on Amazon for 47.99 .